Biaxial tape?

Cody Williams

Hey guys, thinking hard about building another boat this summer and I've started doing research on materials. I see that Devlin is now recommending 12oz Biaxial for taping the bulkheads and seams-anyone have any experience that they wouldn't mind sharing? Would 2 layers of biax on the seams be enough vs. 3 of conventional tape? I see that most of the biax tape I can find has a layer of mat in it-does this cause too much bulk? How hard it it to fair the tape into the rest of the hull? Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
Hey guys, thinking hard about building another boat this summer and I've started doing research on materials. I see that Devlin is now recommending 12oz Biaxial for taping the bulkheads and seams-anyone have any experience that they wouldn't mind sharing? Would 2 layers of biax on the seams be enough vs. 3 of conventional tape? I see that most of the biax tape I can find has a layer of mat in it-does this cause too much bulk? How hard it it to fair the tape into the rest of the hull? Thanks for any advice!

I have used 2 layers of heavy biax without mat and an super happy with the results in combination with peel ply. Beautiful with very high ratio of glass to epoxy fillets.

Thanks guys. Tod, do you remember where you sourced that biax tape? Most of what I can find has the mat layer in it.

Thanks guys. Tod, do you remember where you sourced that biax tape? Most of what I can find has the mat layer in it.

Most of my stuff came from RAKA, including the peel ply. I wouldn't use the biax without it.

Thanks Tod. After I posted that I found some for a really good price at Fiberglass Supply. Thanks for the heads up on the peel ply too! I will have to give you a call with some questions soon.....

Back