I may have posted this before...

My Duck is Dead

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgeon... As she laid
her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the
bird's chest.

After a moment or two, the vet shook his head sadly and said,

"I'm sorry, your duck, Cuddles, has passed away."

The distressed woman wailed, "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am sure. The duck is dead," replied the vet.

"How can you be so sure?" she protested. "I mean you haven't done any
testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something."

The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room.

He returned a few minutes later with a black Labrador Retriever. As the
duck's owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his
front paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom.
He then looked up at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head.

The vet patted the dog on the head and took it out of the room.

A few minutes later he returned with a cat. The cat jumped on the table and
also delicately sniffed the bird from head to foot. The cat sat back on its
haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and strolled out of the room.

The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry, but as I said, this is
most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck."

The vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill,
which he handed to the woman.

The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill.

"$150!" she cried, "$150 just to tell me my duck is dead!"

The vet shrugged, "I'm sorry. If you had just taken my word for it, the bill
would have been $20, but with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it's a $150.

Best of luck with the doctors Tom...hopefully the above will make you smile going in the door.

Chuck

Positive vibes for good results Tom. Hang tight. I know I'm on the other side of the world (Chanhassen), but your kingdom ain't that far if you need a hand.

Well the pet scan didn't show up anything but the labs showed that my little localized plasma cytoma has grown up to be a full fledged multimyloma. I have to look pretty hard to find any silver lining but they keep teling me I am healthy and young. Will start a program of chemo in a couple weeks followed by some stem cell wizardry at Mayo. "Treatment not cure" is the phrase used now, of course there is no cancer cure yet but it is hard to hear. It is forcing me to look real hard at projects and begin a purge.

You've been on my mind since last night Tom. What ever you need, I'm not that far away. "Treatment not Cure" - heard that myself but if there is any positive out of that statement is that the treatment has gotten so much better in the last 20 years. You can do this - we need to share a lot more good times. Call when you are able.

Hey Tom -
This is not good, nor bad news - it is just news. You've met my buddy Todd while hunting, he made it through treatment for his cancer with flying colors. Been cancer free for many years. If you want to reach out to him, and ask a many questions as you want, he would be more than happy to speak with you. Attitude and staying positive makes a huge difference in the effects of treatment I can say with certainty. I know you are looking at this the right way and will continue to do so.
I am a short distance away. Should you need a driver to or from any of your treatment sessions, I am available to play driver. Take some burden off you and your wife. Do not hesitate to call me. I'll even let you fall asleep on the way home and not give you too much crapola bout it.

Mark

Back