Question for owners of Roy Boats

Bob M

Hey Guys
I picked up a 12' Row low boat but the sides were gone.
What are the flaps on a Roy boat made of ? Aluminum ? Glass or wood ?

Thanks
Bob

So fast the flaps burn off. They need to be ceramic to take the heat. Same with the floatation...

So fast the flaps burn off. They need to be ceramic to take the heat. Same with the floatation...

Scary fast Tod but that's why the motor has 1/2 throttle LOL
Too fast for meeeeeeee

Definitely glass then Bob, mine's a 2009.

UGH ....Probably gonna be impossible to get glass flaps made. I guess I'll just put boards on it like on the South Bay then.

Thanks as always for the help Craig

Super easy to do your own layup, or have any glass guy make them. I had a buddy do mine. There flat and easy to do. Couple layers of 10 cloth or Matte, layup on flat surface with freezer paper. Done. Don't use wood. I did and they didn't last 5 years

Last edited:
Super easy to do your own layup, or have any glass guy make them. I had a buddy do mine. There flat and easy to do. Couple layers of 10 cloth or Matte, layup on flat surface with freezer paper. Done. Don't use wood. I did and they didn't last 5 years

I then covered mine with special tile from NASA.......-all good now !

Mine is a 2013 high box and they are glass. I believe Roy will sell you just the flaps and the hinges

I then covered mine with special tile from NASA.......-all good now !
Thanks Jode but I will need some special tile whatever I use. LOL

Mine is a 2013 high box and they are glass. I believe Roy will sell you just the flaps and the hinges

Thanks Jmac. Roy might be back from down South by now.

Bob, here is a easy fix..... a sheet of this, doubled up with a good construction adhesive?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-x-8-ft-White-090-FRP-Wall-Board-MFTF12IXA480009600/100389836

Bob, here is a easy fix..... a sheet of this, doubled up with a good construction adhesive?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-x-8-ft-White-090-FRP-Wall-Board-MFTF12IXA480009600/100389836

hmmm definitely an option Dave Thanks. I'm gonna give Roy a call first and go from there.

Bob, Taking into consideration the speed at which you will be travelling i recommend a pair of sportsmans guide surplus military goggles. They will keep your eyelids from rolling back.
A set of hydrofoils may help smooth out the ride by keeping you above a chop thus cutting down on travel time.
Heck, if you and Tod launched at the same time you would have your limit and be headed back to the ramp before he got to the shooting ground.
Stay safe,Bill.

Dave Diefenderfer

Home depot shows this product is for interior use only. I've never used it, but it may not like being exposed to the elements.

I'd vote for finding some fiberglass panels, I had one with
luan flaps and they didn't hold up well. a fiberglass panel with an angle bolted to the back to help it stay rigid would be great.

if you have to paint it, you must prime it first, otherwise the paint blows off at warp speed

Bob, Taking into consideration the speed at which you will be travelling i recommend a pair of sportsmans guide surplus military goggles. They will keep your eyelids from rolling back.
A set of hydrofoils may help smooth out the ride by keeping you above a chop thus cutting down on travel time.
Heck, if you and Tod launched at the same time you would have your limit and be headed back to the ramp before he got to the shooting ground.
Stay safe,Bill.
hahahahaha Thanks for the morning laugh Bill

Dave Diefenderfer
Good catch Dave....Thank You !

Home depot shows this product is for interior use only. I've never used it, but it may not like being exposed to the elements.

Back