Topeka here we come. Looking for hunting opportunities.

Cheech Kehoe

For the second time in my life I am moving to a place where I don't know anyone. I did it 21 years ago when we moved to Vermont and Vermont was very kind to my wife and myself. Now we are moving to Topeka Kansas in July. We are moving to be closer to family and really looking forward to the move. I have reached out the local DU chapter and intend to be active in the chapter. So I'm looking to the DBP for the second time. A little less than 20 years ago I posted on here that I was looking for someone in Vt to show me the ropes. John Bourbon invited me over to check out his decoys and gear and I have enjoyed countless adventures with John over these many years since. Any info on the Topeka area would be very much appreciated.

I live West of Wichita, so not real close to Topeka, plus I just moved here back in October, so I'm still new here myself. The first thing I would do is check out www.ksoutdoors.com and click on "where to hunt" under the hunting tab. In general, you can hunt any of the federal reservoirs, plus other state owned wildlife areas. Also, the Kansas River is public up to the high water mark. Kansas also has a program called WIHA that pays landowners to open their property up to public hunting. Most WIHA ground is deer or upland bird habitat, but some have wetlands or ponds that may hold some waterfowl. Northeast Kansas is more heavily populated than the rest of the state (except Wichita, which is kinda off by itself) so you may be dealing with more hunting pressure than other areas of the state.

The best thing about Kansas? A 74 day duck season and 5 mallard limit!

Andrew,

Thanks for the info and the pic. Good looking Mallards! I have checked out ksoutdoors and was encouraged. It seems that the public lands may have some pressure, but that is to be expected. I Like the sound of 74 days and 5 mallards is not a bad thing... I am looking forward to the challenges of finding the birds and getting where they want to be. I have a 18' Lund Alsaskan with a blind that has treated me will on Champlain, but I am not so sure it is the best rig for Kansas. There were pics and details of the build on the site, but the pics aren't there anymore. I will be in Kansas in late July. I know Wichita is a couple hours away, but I'm looking forward to exploring the state so if I'm headed your way, I'll give you a heads up ahead of time.

Cheech,
I lived in Manhattan (45 mins west) for 4 years finishing up grad school, and was able to get in a decent amount of hunting. There are numerous reservoirs in central/eastern KS that hold ducks all season. The ducks can be rather scattered in central KS, but they can be found if you look for them.

Your boat is different than what most use, but on the larger reservoirs, it may get you out there when the smaller, flatter jon boats are sitting at home :). We don't have anything close to Champlain around here!

I enjoyed central KS, and I found a few walk-in areas where, if I was willing to walk a littler further, there were very few people (esp during the week). I honestly only hunted with a boat one time the 4 years I was there (is that blasphemy here? :) )

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. Its good to hear that there are so many chances around Topeka. I especially like how you turned the challenge of my boat into an opportunity to hunt when others can't. I like where your heads at! As for the blasphemy, some of the best hunts I have had in the Champlain Valley were jump shooting ditches at the edge of cornfields.

Try Perry Lake just north of Topeka. The north end of the lake has several good marshes, and your boat will be fine for hunting the lake itself, especially if the marshes freeze. Welcome to Kansas.

William

You will be sitting nicely when it comes to being close to some excellent shooting. I have hunted just east of Topeka many times on walk in areas along the KS. river. I have heard it is busier than it was when we hunted it years ago. There are many areas to use your boat in the state of Kansas. Also a small marsh layout may be beneficial to hunt. Do not discount making a few trips to Cheyenne Bottoms. You can drive south a couple hours to find open water when you are frozen. Missouri River is not far away, buy a Missouri license and hunt it when the Kanas splits happen. I did not buy a Kansas license last year, I do know there was a six bird limit on honkers a couple years ago. Topeka and eastward will hold quite a few birds during peak times. There are plenty of opportunistic small water hunts you could float your boat on and shoot a wide array of birds also. Buy some goose floaters you will need them.

My only visit to Kansas was 6 weeks at Fort Riley the summer of 1987.
Dinstinctly remember hearing lots of cock pheasants cackling and bobwhites calling while in the field.
Its about the only pleasant memory I had of the place other than getting on the bus to leave.....

Try Perry Lake just north of Topeka. The north end of the lake has several good marshes, and your boat will be fine for hunting the lake itself, especially if the marshes freeze. Welcome to Kansas.

William

Thanks for the Welcome and the good advice. We won't get there until July, but I plan on exploring Perry Lake. I was looking at Perry lake charts and google Earth of course and it looks like a nice piece of Water.

You will be sitting nicely when it comes to being close to some excellent shooting. I have hunted just east of Topeka many times on walk in areas along the KS. river. I have heard it is busier than it was when we hunted it years ago. There are many areas to use your boat in the state of Kansas. Also a small marsh layout may be beneficial to hunt. Do not discount making a few trips to Cheyenne Bottoms. You can drive south a couple hours to find open water when you are frozen. Missouri River is not far away, buy a Missouri license and hunt it when the Kanas splits happen. I did not buy a Kansas license last year, I do know there was a six bird limit on honkers a couple years ago. Topeka and eastward will hold quite a few birds during peak times. There are plenty of opportunistic small water hunts you could float your boat on and shoot a wide array of birds also. Buy some goose floaters you will need them.

Tom,

Thanks for the info! I have heard good things about Cheyenne Bottoms from a couple people. In regard to Decoys, I have a more than a few:) I have a field rig too and will be keeping them in hopes of getting permission to hunt some fields in Kansas. I have some other small boats to hunt out of too. 12' Aquapod and Poke boat original (that I am kinda Big for right now). So I will likely be hitting the small marshes too. Knowing that I will be "Sitting Nicely" is welcome news. Thanks for taking the time.

My only visit to Kansas was 6 weeks at Fort Riley the summer of 1987.
Dinstinctly remember hearing lots of cock pheasants cackling and bobwhites calling while in the field.
Its about the only pleasant memory I had of the place other than getting on the bus to leave.....

Carl,

Pheasants and bobwhites are not common in Vermont so I will be looking forward to expanding my experience. I do hope that my time in Kansas will be more pleasant than your 6 weeks of Basic Training :)

A small fold up canoe carrier for the poke boat will grant you access to a lot of upper reservoir areas not far from Topeka. Also walk in area on private access to some of the river delta areas will be perfect for that set up. I have a poke maxi that has been set up that way and love it. I put some doors on it for using as a layout and you can get skinny real quick to shoot some birds. Great hunting in Ks., plus the public access to shoot eastern or rio turkeys is not bad at all.

We are Kansans! We have been here for over a month and I finally have some time to get online and see whats happening on the DBP. The new format is great Eric (adding pics without resizing...)!!! Priorities being what they are, my duckboat is registered in Kansas, but my truck is not...yet. I wasn't sure if I was going to fit the boat in the garage...and It fit just barely.
Now I just need some local knowledge. If there are any guys in the Topeka area that want to get together and talk Ducks/Decoys/boats, I am available. I have been on Lake Perry and I see a lot of potential there, but it would be nice to get the details of what is and is not legal hunting areas from someone who knows. I joined the local DU Chapter and they have a 50th annual banquet coming up September, 21 that I will be helping with. They were very welcoming and I am looking forward to getting to know them better. So far Kansas has been great. I will miss Vermont and my great friends there, but I am excited for this chapter of my life to begin.

View attachment IMG_0954.JPG
View attachment IMG_0879.JPG

Back