Turkeys - NDR

Andrew Schaefer

Turkey Season opened a couple weeks ago here. I hadn't turkey hunted in almost 10 years. I kinda gave up on them after trying hard for a few years in a row without much success, but I was seeing a lot of turkeys, and hearing a lot of gobbling a couple weeks before season, so I enthusiastically bought my two tags. Then, a few days before season opened, I got poison ivy really bad. I had to go to the doctor and go on prednisone and everything. I'm pretty sure I picked it up from mushroom hunting, so that put a damper on my will to go out in the woods and chase turkeys. On Monday, I was on the phone with my boss, who is a turkey hunting fanatic, when he mentioned that he really though the next few days would be prime time for turkey hunting, and a fella with some tags really ought to be out in the woods. So, after work I went and did some scouting, I checked a field were I had seen turkeys in the past, and as I was peaking around the hedgerow with my binoculars, I could see two gobbler heads poking up from behind a swale in the field. I quickly and quietly left the area and planned to be back in the morning.

When I got to the field the next morning I could here a bird gobbling from the roost as I set up on the edge of the field (I had to check very carefully for a spot without poison ivy, turns out that place is loaded with it). I yelped a few times, and but it was windy, and I wasn't sure the gobbler could hear me. It also sounded like it was getting further away. By this time it was light out, and I spent several minutes watching 3 deer feed out in the field until they caught my wind and bolted. Then I tried yelping again, and to my surprise, I had two birds gobble back about 100 yards away, straight down the treeline. Then I saw them making their way out into the field. I could see them eyeballing my decoys, I gave them a couple soft yelps on the slate, and they all came strolling in. It was a flock of 12-15 jakes. I picked out the biggest one I could see, and shot it. The rest scattered a little, then stopped and looked back. There was one separated from the bunch that I could positively ID as a jake, and I shot him too. I stopped by the office to get a picture taken, then I went home, cleaned the birds, took a shower, fried up some bacon and eggs, and still made it to work by 11. All in all a pretty good day.

Last edited:
Cant beat that!
I like to put the legs and thighs in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup and cook them all day.

Thanks for sharing, I love seeing dead turkey pics when there's a story to them (well there's always a story).

Cant beat that!
I like to put the legs and thighs in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup and cook them all day.

Thanks! So far I've tried a couple crock pot recipes and stripped and fried a breast.

Fried breast strips = meat candy

Crock pot legs = hot turkey sandwiches (w/ gravy, mashed potatoes, and bread, of course)

Crock pot breast = pulled turkey sandwiches for lunch

Last edited:
Darn good day to double up. Pretty Merriams

Thanks! I'm not a turkey expert, but I'm told that the birds around here are Rio Grande, or some hybrid of Rio and Eastern. They definitely look and behave differently than the Eastern turkeys we had where I grew up in Eastern Iowa. Based on the pictures, my guess would be Rio. Supposedly there are a few Merriams in far southwestern Kansas.

Last edited:
Back