Lead release agent with wooden molds

John Fraser

Does anyone use a release agent when pouring lead in a wooden mold?

I never did before, but I just made some new molds and wonder if there's a better way.

Jason, what kind of wood did you use?

I came across a few lbs of old Tanglegree crimps I want to repurpose them to "J" weights.

I've used a router to make molds in red oak- used a round bottom and flared back the top just a bit, enough that there was no wood enclosing the poured anchor. No problem dumping out the cooled anchors.

Thanks everyone. I used ash for the mold, a tree that we cut down in our yard. The anchor design was inspired by a bayman that took me on my first brant hunt, he had W shaped weights. My previous design (pictured here) was just an F, but I thought that adding a J would give it more grab. I am also using copper wire this time instead of steel. I'll stick a dowel in the loop of the wire and twist it once the lead is set. I'm making these for a brant rig I'm working on.

Thanks Rob. Here are the new weights. 8 ounces each. I used the talcum powder, they lifted out of the mold easily.

Thanks Rob. Here are the new weights. 8 ounces each. I used the talcum powder, they lifted out of the mold easily.

Yep the talcum powder is great for wood, and fills in the grain too.

I've used a candle to coat the mold with black soot by holding the mold over the candle. After a few pours though I've not need much of anything. The molds get better until they split.

Hi Steve,
I believe it's 12 gauge. They're scrap pieces of Romex from when we wired the upstairs. I hope it's heavy enough.

I have never heard of using wood for molds How long do they last? I would think they would burn up fairly quickly. I have used muffin tins, commercial strap weight molds, and commercial bank sinker molds. They get really hot; I just can't imagine the wood holding up. I will be interested to hear. thanks in advance for the education

Went to yard sales years ago and purchased cast iron muffin pans. Have a flat bottom and round bottom, pour as much lead as needed.
For the ring I used copper wire from utility to ground transformers. It is very stiff, not soft like inside wire. Underground aluminum primary wire is decent and holds up well in salt water...
I have large sinker molds, but don't care for them.

The molds don't last forever Derek, but I just need to get a dozen out of these. It's just neat to be able to make your own style weights. And easy enough if you have a router.

Back