May Workbench

MLBob Furia

[size 4]The Ward Show this past weekend did a frond category dedicated to Bobby Sutton who passed away last summer. Bobby was a friend for many years, and actually was the guy who sent me the box of fronds that started me fooling around with frond decoys. He had thrown a note, written on a torn piece of scrap paper, into the box that said, "See what you can do with these."

To honor the memory of one of the great old timers, I thought it only fitting to come out of hiding and send this diorama depicting palm-frond pickleweeds at work in the corn-stubble:

View attachment WardWorld3.jpg

Thanks to DHBP member Mike Braden for sending me this photo he took at the show.

Last edited:
That corn is incredible.....probably the second best genuine fake corn I've ever seen..second only to that Scott guy who will always be the "Michelangelo of Maize"......

Seriously neat stuff Bob.....

Steve

This may be an illegal entry because I finished it in April but it is fresh off the bench. Jeff smith and I took and old table made from angle iron and turned it into a grinder stand. We added casters and raised panel sides/back and drawers made from bleacher boards. Since these pictures were taken I've mounted bench grinders and a wire wheel to the top (you can see them in the background on their old stand). The drawers are full of sharpening and buffing supplies, wire wheels, plus some other grinder accessories.

As for workshop progress a contractor is coming in late this week to insulate the attic and wall that separates the workshop from the garage. I'm going to pick up a load of T1-11 plywood, paint it, and then skin the wall. Progress will be slow as Thomas is playing baseball all summer and I'll be out of town almost every weekend until school starts. I figured it would take five years to complete the shop and that's what it is looking like. Half way there.

GrinderStation1.jpg

GrinderStation2.jpg

GrinderStation3.jpg

Last edited:
Dang, I'd love to have a shop like that!
But then who wouldn't???????

On the workbench or creating the workbench....
Nothin' "illegal about that, Eric. Beautiful stuff as always, and a monster shop.

Steve,
Just wanted to show how we bait 'em ;-);-) How's the pup doing?

Finished these up at the end of April so with drying time they are May birds I guess. I cut down a dead cherry tree in my yard and it has produced a lot of good wood for bowls, spoons and decoy bases. Birds are white cedar . Dowel and base cherry. Sorry about pic quality

Cutting out brant heads and bodies at my father in law's shop. His goslings and ducklings kept me company. All the cedar for the bodies came from a tree across the street from the shop.

Back