For you amusement and comment... Mice....

tod osier

Gold Sponsor
Truck is dead in driveway (turns over, but nothing else) and sitting waiting for a tow truck. Mouse nest in fuse box with destroyed wiring visible in there. It isn't like I give the little bastards a break.

Last edited:
Ughh , mice. Hate em. So I was drying the beard of a turkey k shot this year in borax , and you guess it. The little bastards stole it!

Consider it a WARNING. They despise you and are out to get you.

The number I have killed, I deserve it. Then again, were they better neighbors and didn't chew my stuff and piss and shit on everything... can't we all just get along :).

I was part of a volunteer group that were administering tons of corn to the marshes of Long Island two years ago due to a large duck die-off. It was awful and I was glad to help. I had a few hundred pounds of corn in the bed my truck with the lock lid closed and I would access as needed. They were heavy, why move twice?
Click, click goes the starter.....$500 deductible on the $3,000 wire harness that had to be pulled and resnaked. The tech pulled out handfuls of corn, poop and hair....
God Damn ducks.....

I was part of a volunteer group that were administering tons of corn to the marshes of Long Island two years ago due to a large duck die-off. It was awful and I was glad to help. I had a few hundred pounds of corn in the bed my truck with the lock lid closed and I would access as needed. They were heavy, why move twice?
Click, click goes the starter.....$500 deductible on the $3,000 wire harness that had to be pulled and resnaked. The tech pulled out handfuls of corn, poop and hair....
God Damn ducks.....

Going to be pricey, it happens enough that you would think they would do a better job protecting the wiring. The tech at the dealer said that he could splice in repairs if it wasn't too bad. I don't really want any part of mouse-piss covered spliced wires on this truck - especially where we take it and how it is used.

I called my mechanic this morning and asked him if he wanted the job or if I should go with the dealer. Guess what the smart man said. :).

Tod~

The correct inference: The mice are deployed by hungry dealerships????

All the best,

SJS

Or as agents of some unknown deity to punish me for all my clean living...

I feel your pain. They got my decoys bags last year, both chewed and pissed in, but I made them bail out in LI Sound. Lawn tractor, ATV and snowsled air filters full of the corn we toss out for the deer. Ice shantys chewed to pieces. Two boats full of mouse nasty, life jackets and anchor rodes shredded. They filled my bandsaw with everything foul a rodent can do, and ate my decoy patterns. I used to check the bandsaw for the cute little guys before hitting the smite button. That time is past.

I feel your pain. They got my decoys bags last year, both chewed and pissed in, but I made them bail out in LI Sound. Lawn tractor, ATV and snowsled air filters full of the corn we toss out for the deer. Ice shantys chewed to pieces. Two boats full of mouse nasty, life jackets and anchor rodes shredded. They filled my bandsaw with everything foul a rodent can do, and ate my decoy patterns. I used to check the bandsaw for the cute little guys before hitting the smite button. That time is past.

I remember years ago, out on the sound pulling out my chartbook and finding it had been ripped into a mouse nest, which was made right in the same compartment. I felt bad chucking the cute blind pinkies into the drink and that was about the last time I felt bad to kill a mouse.

This weekend I had a half dozen traps baited, 2 bucket traps and some poison baits deployed while they worked on the truck.

I always see new mouse movement when we get rain like we did this weekend.

Last edited:
I remember years ago, out on the sound pulling out my chartbook and finding it had been ripped into a mouse nest, which was made right in the same compartment. I felt bad chucking the cute blind pinkies into the drink and that was about the last time I felt bad to kill a mouse.

This weekend I had a half dozen traps baited, 2 bucket traps and some poison baits deployed while they worked on the truck.

I always see new mouse movement when we get rain like we did this weekend.

I'm working a trapline myself. I enjoy the 5-gallon pail traps when you get multiple failed gymnasts, but have more consistent luck with a plain old Victor. Lots of blame on the vermin for this years tickfest, one more reason to hate.

I killed a rat in my shed last week that was half squirrel, half badger. The thing was huge! Sniped two others that were under the bird feeder. Hate those things. I always keep a trap set in the shed for mice and we seem to get one or two each month.

Sorry to hear about your truck.

Nate

damn that sucks.
I have not had them in the boat or truck but the shed is another story.
And its rats, not mice.
I have to keep traps & poison out 24/7/365.
Made a mess out of one of my decoys bags last year, what a stench.

I put out lots of the decon blocks (in the plastic feeders) so that the dog can't get to it. Up in the decoy loft in the barn. I put out several of the large blocks and let them "free feed" mice are tough to control; especially if you are in the country

damn that sucks.
I have not had them in the boat or truck but the shed is another story.
And its rats, not mice.
I have to keep traps & poison out 24/7/365.
Made a mess out of one of my decoys bags last year, what a stench.

Haven't got the quote yet - really exciting thinking about having some brand new wires!

I am so aggressive at trapping it is ridiculous. I'm going to put more out now :). It is good to have a cheap - fun hobby like that :).

Seems to be a East coast infestation, pestilence and no doubt a new movie. RODENTS REVENGE! Subtitle no we cannot all get along HHHeeeeeHHHeeeeHHHeeeee.

I once stayed in a waterfowl hunting camp in NC were each hunter was given four baited mouse traps to place around their bed. The winner with the most dead mice was announced each morning at breakfast, and deemed best trapper.

My hunting partner and I took it in stride as we learned never, ever, sleep in any camp without your own mummy sleeping bag. I can still hear the sound of those traps going off while we tried to sleep...
and guys that rebaited their traps won, but got very little sleep.

I put out lots of the decon blocks (in the plastic feeders) so that the dog can't get to it. Up in the decoy loft in the barn. I put out several of the large blocks and let them "free feed" mice are tough to control; especially if you are in the country

That is probably the only part I was not up on. All my poison baits were ate up. I put them in 2" pvc with a screw in them to hold the bait. I try to keep them away from the dogs - dogs show no interest in dead mice, but I'm sure they would eat the blocks if available.

That is probably the only part I was not up on. All my poison baits were ate up. I put them in 2" pvc with a screw in them to hold the bait. I try to keep them away from the dogs - dogs show no interest in dead mice, but I'm sure they would eat the blocks if available.

that is a great idea about the PVC pipe. I had never heard of that that is very good. I will be doing that forthwith

Try skinning and grilling. Heck, you might find out you are being provided with a veritable bounty of tasty morsels.!!!

Had a camper trailer at my hunting camp, had....
Load it up with mouse bait every trip, still had mouse stuff in every drawer, cabinet, walls...., then had snakes looking for the mice, then wasps using the snake skins for nests. True, wasn't sealed the best but.
Finally couldn't stand the smell anymore, Hanta virus heaven. Dumb azz neighbor kid wanted it bad for a love shack, gave him my blessings as long as he moved it.

Last I heard, he never cleaned it, and thought it was the find of a lifetime, I was going to burn it.

Back