Rigging sleds

bob Petritsch

Although I used sleds many years ago I have forgotten how I rigged them.
I know I want to put them on individual lines, long enough to clip them onto the long line without having to lift them out of the nest.
I'll use long line clips to clip them on the long line
My big question is how to attach the leash o each sled. If I just drill a hole through the cross beam, then when I stack them the lines will be in the way and hey will not stack right.
Don't want to drill a hole through the crossbeam horizontally as it might weaken the beam too much.i thought about adding screw I to he front of the beam.
How do you rig your sleds? Thanks.........Bob

I just drill a 1 inch hole or smaller through the front crossbeam and then tie off a 3 foot dropper using paracord or some of the 120# tarred line. Has worked out fine and I've not snapped a sled yet. Obviously, you will want to pull on the motherline when pulling them in and not wrench on the actual sled. That would definitely shorten the lifespan of your sleds.

Nate

ok, I give up what are rigging sleds ???

Sleds are silhouett decoys. Two cross members and two rails holding the silhouette shape of a duck. Advantage is you can make them real big and therefore real good for big water shooting. Disadvantage is they are real big!
My problem is if you tie a line to the front cross member, the accumulating 5-6 lines, all at the same spot don't allow the cross members to sit flat and they wobble all around....did I mention that they are big?

View attachment image.jpg

ok, define big goose size ? like real geese or outlaws? one frame per silo? or multiple silos per frame, more like a Y board ? We use Y boards out here for late season when the ground is froze and it is tough to punch in holes. it is interesting the different terminology/names/methods that are used from the Midwest to the coasts for harvesting waterfowl.

ok, define big goose size ? like real geese or outlaws? one frame per silo? or multiple silos per frame, more like a Y board ? We use Y boards out here for late season when the ground is froze and it is tough to punch in holes. it is interesting the different terminology/names/methods that are used from the Midwest to the coasts for harvesting waterfowl.

My factory solid decoys are 7" high by 17" long. My sleds are 12" high by 24" long. Heads are a bit oversized to give height. Of course they are made to float. 6 pair nest together and are put out on one long line. I put mine behind all the other decoys. I attached another copy of a single pair below.

I looked at the pictures. wow, different from anything I have seen or used. I can see where they would add visibility to your spread.

Nice post,Steve. By the way it was SJS who sent me the tutorial on the hen paint.
Back to the original question. All the pics on steves post, all the pics of the stacked finished birds......none had lines attached. I'm wondering how to rig them and still have them sit like in Steves photos.

This would add to the overall height, but what about adding a strip of wood to the underside of the cross members... a strip outboard near each of the silos front and back. This would provide a spacer for the line/knot and keep everything square. Another thought is a nice brass/bronze eye screw or padeye on the edge of the cross members.

Back