Motor City Decoy Man

Tim Speight

Come visit with Ken Cole as he talks about one of Michigan's most beloved decoy makers...Ben Schmidt

https://youtu.be/oyY8a8KX0Xc

Good morning, Tim~

More great stuff! I have only "discovered" Ben's work in recent years - they are real eye-catchers - and good, solid gunning birds.

Question: Did Ben brand or otherwise ID his birds?

Thanks!

SJS

Hi Steve
I don't believe Ben marked his birds for identification, but I'm not certain.
I've sent Ken Cole an email asking him your question. I'll post his response as soon I receive it.

Tim

Steve here's what Ken has to say regarding your question:
"On occasion Ben would sign his name Benj J Schmidt.
This would usually be on a later bird (late 40's-early 60's) he knew was going to a collector, not to be hunted, or a collector bringing him a bird they had found or bought for him to sign.
For the most part, there are no markings by him."

Tim

Thanks, Tim~

I wonder what my chances are of seeing one in-the-flesh here along the Atlantic Tidewater.

All the best,

SJS

I don't know how far Pencil Brook Farm is from Portsmouth, NH but the next Guyette and Deeter auction is being held there Jul7 25th & 26th.

The auction preview is from 6-8 pm on the 24th. There is a Ben Schmidt Goose in that auction.

You could get a hands on look if that fits in your schedule. There will also be many other fantastic decoys there.

Tim

Steve -

I would think there are Ben Schmidt decoys in some east coast collections, and in the care of various decoy club members as well. I am not certain about decoy museums on the coast having any in their collections. Inquire and you should get replies.

Once you see and get your hands on one, you will not forget it.

The man that helped organize and headed the Pymatuning Waterfowl Festival (now Expo) in 1982, had a large collection of Ben Schmidt decoys. Prime examples, that were put on display at the the Waterfowl Refuge Museum (now Wildlife Museum). Being a DU volunteer I got to study them up close. His work influenced many Great Lakes, and big water layout decoy carvers and gunners.

Decoy Magazine did a very good article about Mr. Schmidt some years ago, he is on the cover. I have the issue, just have to dig it out. Also many past auction catalogs show much of his work.

What I enjoyed about the old Ohio Decoy Show at Westlake, was that there were decoys from all over North America. Every room had treasures you could get hands on, that now seem to be far out of reach. Thanks to that show I got to see and enjoy decoys from everywhere. Very inspiring and educational.

Several years back, there was an article in Decoy Magazine done by Ken Cole comparing Ben Schmidt decoys with the decoys of his older brother, Frank Schmidt. It was very well done. It highlighted the differences between the carving style of the brothers as at times, there is confusion. I'll see if I can find my copy and post up the exact issue.
Most notable differences were in details in carving style and how the keels were built are the same trademarks to ID a Ben Schmidt Decoy. I've seen a few signed decoys most likely later signed by Ben but, the decoys I have if there is a brand it is the markings of the rig owner. I've have Ben Schmidt decoys from both the "Fulton" rig and the rig of Ed O'Connell. Schmidt decoys branded with the brand of "TES" are from the collection of Michigan Collector, Tom Shumaker.
I am a fan of Ben Schmidt decoys as IMHO, he made some of the best all around gunning blocks around. He made lots of them and the testimony of their effectiveness is how we preserved they are. Sturdy and detailed enough to do the job. Pat

Back