scull boat id

Mark Spolarich

I know it has been a long time since I have been on the site but I finally found a scull boat for sale that appears to be in good shape. I am sanding it down to giveit a good once-over plus some TLC....I think it is a Ralph Thomson but not 100% sure and hoping someone on here can help ID it.

I think the side boards are an add-on and not part of the original boat. The transom has been replaced but the hole for the oar may not in its original place. Only reason I say that is because it is so close to the motor.

Looks like a Ralph Thompson boat to me. If TonyH sees this He'd be a good opinion on it. I believe He's owned a couple at one point or another.

The outside looks like a Thompson boat. I have owned 3, and been in a lot more. The inside, other than the front shelf does not though. My opinion is that it is a Ralph Thompson boat, that was modified at some point.

Lance

The outside looks like a Thompson boat. I have owned 3, and been in a lot more. The inside, other than the front shelf does not though. My opinion is that it is a Ralph Thompson boat, that was modified at some point.

Lance

Lance, are the side boards a modification or are they part of the original design?.....do you have any pictures of the inside of a Thomson scull?? I am also wondering about the front shield. I want to stay with original design as I rehab the boat.

The extra boards above original are add ons. Ralph NEVER made his sides that tall. The front is added from what I remember. It looks like whoever owned it wanted to sit higher. There's always a front that's higher than sides, but usually didn't look like that. The front piece under the shelf looks to be modified too. Usually it was open to put the person in front's feet/legs under threw. I'll try to dig my pictures out, it'll be awhile though.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll try to answer the best I can.

Lance

Last edited:
I have started sanding the paint and areas where someone just put a piece of epoxy soaked fiberglass over an area without sanding smooth. So far nothing shocking or that appears to require immediate attention. I also removed those sideboards and the front shield. Front shield was two separate sections, an outside and inside piece of plywood with cedar boards as internal spacers. This covered a front shield that was cut down to match the cockpit sideboard height. (obvious since the cut is not straight).

I checked the area that used to be under the shelf you pointed out and it appears to have boards added behind that would suggest, based upon you description of how one would sit up front, the plywood has also been replaced.

PM sent

Last edited:
Mark,

There was another guy from the Clinton area that built a similar boat as well. I don't remember his name. Dave Larsen would be the guy to ask about your boat. He and Ralph were close. I don't believe Dave has posted since he gave up duck hunting. He's the manager at True Value in Clinton. I have his email address if you want it.

Home sick so went out and took some measurements:

Boat is 14' 8" in length and 41-1/2" wide at the stern.
Transom height is 15"
Cockpit area is 10' 10-1/2" in length and 38-1/2" wide at mid-ship
Cockpit sideboards appear to be cedar and are attached to framing with standard slotted screws.

7" Inside the bow, forward of the cockpit is a divider board.

Here is a closer picture of the transom to show metal bracing:

This is a close-up of the area where the shield joined the cockpit sideboards. It appears that something was attached here at some point in time.

There was usually a taller piece attached to the front area. This would allow the person in front to sit without having to bend down much. Many guys would cut slots so that the people up front could see what was going on too.

Thanks for all your help Lance. I would like to get the boat as close to original as possible, even down to the paint color (which appears to have been olive drab).

Has the history of scull boat hunting on the Mississippi ever been documented?

They were either olive drab, or black. A lot of them were black. I don't know if it has been. I've seen bits and pieces, and know people have talked about it before.

Thanks for all your help! I want to rehab the boat to as close to original as possible without doing a complete restoration at this time.

Back