is it possible to replace or restore tailboards?

Lawrence Kotchek

HI All,
I have 6 older cork pintails that got left in a wet bag about 5 years ago. The plywood (I assume) tail boards turned to mush/rotted.
Is there a way to remove & replace?

Lawrence~

Are/were the tailboards Masonite (fibreboard) or plywood ? Any hardware that might run from the keel up through the boards ?

I would saw out try to saw out the originals and then replace with 1/4-inch AC plywood. If there is no hardware, I would remove the existing on my bandsaw. If any doubt, I would try a long blade on a sawzall (with the body clamped to my bench).

I would set the new tailboards in thickened epoxy or a paintable caulk. As there is likely to be some loss of cork at the edges during the reconstructive surgery, I would add some cork dust (or other filler) to fair the body onto the upper and lower tail surfaces. And, any new boards should be thoroughly sealed - with either epoxy or spar varnish, especially at the edges. If using caulk instead of epoxy, I would seal the tailboards before installing them.

IF you are not going for true restoration, I would consider using a thick plastic for the new inserts. Not only would this be more durable but - because these are Pintails - you could put a nice long, curved (but flexible) tail on the drakes that would hold up under use. Even the hens should have a nice pointed tail. (Photobucket is being cranky right now - otherwise I would post a photo.)

Hope this helps,

SJS

You can either cut it out on a band saw, or depending on how bad the wood is, drill out what remains with a drill press and clean out the slot in the cork with a file or rasp. Whatever it takes. Then, assuming the cork is in ok condition, just glue a new tailboard in and clamp it until it sets.

This should be a pretty quick fix depending on how the were installed. Do you know who made them ??

Do you perchance, know who the maker is/ was? Years ago, when I used tempered Masonite for tails, I would often drive a box nail through the top of the rump, into the tail, just as a safeguard.
Steve, best way to do a refurb., in my opinion, is to try to get them back to the original maker.
Can you post pictures of the decoys?

Last edited:
Did you purchase them from him? If so, it might be worth letting the maker to the repairs.
Just did a search. If he is the Captain Dick Henderson from New Jersey, he passed away, so, unless he mentored some folks in his area, you may be now on your own.

Last edited:
Lawrence~

Those tails look much better than I had feared. I would not try to replace them but sand them to remove the lumps then seal with epoxy to toughen them up. You may need to add a bit of filler to the epoxy if there is material missing.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks Steve, that looks much easier than what I had anticipated. Just 3m epoxy with some fairing mixed in over a sanded down board then I can paint over top?

Good morning, Lawrence~

Yes. Wash the cured epoxy with warm water - to remove any "amine blush" - then sand with 120 grit paper before painting.

All the best,

SJS

Steve is right on the money. Man, when I first read the post, I assumed the worst, but since seeing the images, the problem is certainly repairable. Just get to it and post up photos when the task is complete.

In auction catalogs that's called "honest wear", and many of my old black cork decoys sport such a look... May deal with it sooner or later.

Even if you gun the beegeeberz outta them, they will most likely outlast your years of waterfowling as they are now.

Speaking for myself, life got a lot easier when I started carving and making my own decoys. Gave almost all plastic decoys away to friends.

Kept me busy (still does) and out of trouble. Waterfowlers tend to have addictive personalities...

Back