TUTORIAL - Painting Canvasback Decoys

Steve Sanford

All~

I just posted another of my step-by-step painting Tutorials on my website - this time for Canvasbacks:

https://stevenjaysanford.com/tutorial-painting-homer-canvasbacks/

I painted a pair of Homer Decoys - beginning with my usual epoxy+sawdust coating and then grey latex primer. As usual, the paints are Behr sample jars from Home Depot.

Here are the colors:

Drake%20Portrait%20with%20BEHR%20PAINTS_zpsowmnfxq0.jpg

Hen%20Portrait%20with%20BEHR%20PAINTS_zpsvuavhiqx.jpg

It's important to stretch the pale mid-section on this species - and shrink the darker ends: the chest and the tail section.

D%2003%20-%20Sides_zpsacy3br6t.jpg

Note that the Black on the face does not extend down the back of the neck.

D%2014%20-%20Back%20of%20head_zps3sgvcidy.jpg

Although the bill-to-forehead profile is not a Canvasback, this Sleeper will fool a few, I think.

D%2017%20White%20sides%20on%20Sleeper_zpsz4dayzby.jpg

I include several subtle touches - but simpler paint jobs could certainly serve as gunners.

H%2016%20Facemask_zps3l699ymz.jpg

The Black edges on the first two speculum feathers will not bring in any more Cans - but take just a few seconds to add.

H%2017%20Secondary%20edging_zpskiprvbfe.jpg

Sea trials were on the Hoosick River this morning. I was joined by: Common Merganser, Bald Eagle, Spotted Sandpiper, Great Blue Heron and Killdeer.

Can%2002_zpsyxqwgxfu.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Fantastic! Very informative and helpful as always. Can't thank you enough for all the work you put into this to help us newbies out

as always- great work and very appreciated

I love Cans - hope to get to hunt them some day

Went to Home Depot this morning, on my way to Sneads Ferry to have my outboard engine serviced before I leave for Pennsylvania for the summer. Wanted the engine to sit in fresh oil for the summer.
Bought 9 separate colors in samples and quarts. Needed some colors for the hen surf scoter and the hen old squaw and hen buffleheads. Also needed to replace some broadbill colors that had been used up.
Tonight I open the computer and there is another tutorial. Paints would just sit around until September when we get back from Pa. thanks for the Tutorial.

Back