Canvas and wood

Rob_F

Two quick ones:

1) inherited a bag of stuff. Stuff no good, but the bag us a LL Bean canvas tote. It is very soiled. Any tips on cleaning? Fabric and stitching are in really good condition.

2) transom board: is it leave the wood plain or treat the wood (oil) or resin before primer and paint? Went with oak as it was on hand. I will fiberglass/resin the joints. Certain this redundant for this site, search was crowded with multiple over lapping threads

Good morning, Rob~

TOTE: Is the tote too heavy to put in your washing machine ? If so, I would soak it in a garbage can with Oxyclean for a day - then hang out to dry in the sun.

BTW: Not sure how you will use the tote. I have one (not Bean's) of really heavy (22-ounce) canvas. I painted it with thinned duckboat paint many years ago. I believe I bought it around 1980 and it's still going strong. When not used for gunning - like later this morning - it's my grocery bag.

MOTOR BOARD: I would seal the oak with 2 coats of marine epoxy - maybe 3 since it's Oak - a very porous wood. Be sure all of the edges and corners are rounded - to protect the coating.

Once the final coat is cured, wash any amine blush off with warm water, then sand with 120-grit. Then, 3 coats of your duckboat paint after it is installed.

BTW: When fastening to the boat, bed the board and its fasteners (s/s carriage bolts) in 3M 5200.

All the best,

SJS

Ran through an oxygen soak, then a gentle cycle in the laundry.

It is now clear the tote is more "oiled" than soiled. Apparently it had been leaked on by a neighboring garage mate.

Steve, oil based enamel for painting canvas?

I researched the product, it is a LL Bean Signature Series boat today. Dimensions appear bigger than the comp I could find , with a 18L x 8W x 16H.

Thinking for the bottom and handles, which are red, I'll do black. For the natural colored area I'll do OD green.

I also have wax I tested on an old barn jacket. It was a bit too stiff for the jacket, but might be trick for the bag.

Rob

How disappointed I was when the "wood" and the "canvas" of your post subject was about two separate things, and at that not decoy....that's my two cents, I'm sure that wasn't of any help.

Best
Chuck

If it remains stained it will get a treatment and add to the duck arsenal.

I have a couple, painted with bright colors for non-marsh service that were well accepted (taken) by the Mrs.

Tom

Good morning, Rob~

I mixed my oil-based duckboat paint with turps so that it was about as wet as water. The idea is to get the pigment into the canvas - but not to fill the pores and harden the canvas - as you would with canvas decks on a boat. The bag will be stiffer but not rigid.

We need some photos for this project!

SJS

Rob

How disappointed I was when the "wood" and the "canvas" of your post subject was about two separate things, and at that not decoy....that's my two cents, I'm sure that wasn't of any help.

Best
Chuck

Chuck, I forget that NDR here means "Not Decoy Related" :) The focus and detail orientation to take on that level of decoy workmanship is beyond my available priorities right now. My time for projects is limited to found items and rattle can repaints of Herter's 72's.

I'll get a Photobucket set back up. I completed one project over the winter, the Tote arrived opportunistically. In the coming months, the Magnum Opus will hopefully be getting water trial before Sept. I hate deadlines, it always feels like another opportunity for let down :)

As the kids start moving up and out my goal is to take what I assume will be refound time, money and brain power and invest into detail work.

For now it's fun in learning, failing fast, and bootstrapping.

Wood - Frames, stretchers, decoys and boats

Canvas - Working, boats, decoys, sails ,clothing, etc. or artistic material

Canvas bags for grocery shopping. Much less sanitary than paper bags - YUCK.

my 2cents, and also no help at all

Back