Old Duck Hunters' Association Inc celebration

For you Gordon Macquarrie fans, the Barnes Area Historic Association (near MacQuarrie's Hole-in-the-wall blind and his cabin) will be presenting an event with Keith Crowley, MacQuarrie's biographer on July 22, 12noon to 3PM. The Museum has collected quite a few MacQuarrie items, guns, boat, typewriter, decoys, mostly through Keith's efforts. Museum is in Northern Wisconsin, north of Hayward and south of Brule.

I Would enjoy going to that. Thanks for sharing. If anyone from this forum attends, please take pictures !

Good morning, Dave~

This event is a bit too far away for me. But, I'm thinking Crowley's biography may need to become a birthday present to myself.

All the best,

SJS

Holy Man! This sounds like a pilgrimage worthy event.

I have Crowley's book, guessing he'd sign it. Tried to get s hardcover but I was too slow.

My original set if the "The ODH" book series on taped burned out. I contacted Willow Creek several times about putting out a digital version, to no avail. Was able to borrow an audio transfer machine so I can listen when I drive.

Picked up his book the other day to re read some stories. I just re connected with a high school friend who has a restaurant in WI on Stone Lake. Just so happens I was reading about Sawyer county which is where he lives. What a coincidence!
Ken

Down Went McGinty, is one of my favorite MacQuarrie trout fishing stories, and a must read this time of the season. Last time out I opened the wet fly box, touched the McGinty's, but thought soon but not today. Well, today is overcast with some weather coming, flowers are in bloom. Later on today McGinty shall get it's chance. A old time fly, seldom seen in fly shops these days, fished a old time way.

If the museum offers a catalog of the exhibit with info, I'm sure it would be well received.

Thanks very much for posting this. Is there any other pertinent info we should know? I looked for info on the Barnes Area Historical Association website and it doesn't look like they updated it recently.

Mostly curious if it's an "open house meet and greet" type deal or if Mr. Crowley will be putting on a presentation or anything. In other words, is a guy going to miss anything if he isn't there exactly at noon?

Thanks again! Plans are in the works to attend.

I'm expecting it to be like these affairs always are- there will come a time during the 3 hr window when it gets a bit more formal and Keith talks to a group. That said, if I were you and couldn't get there until 2 oclock, I'd come anyway. I'm pretty sure it won't be a 3 hr lecture!
I'm not part of BAHA, but I know they are a volunteer group, fairly new, so the web site not updated doesn't surprise me. Look forward to meeting you. Dave Evenson

Dave,

I'm in!

I'll bring my Crowley McQuarrie Biography and my books and my tapes and my CDs and..... maybe a badge that says "Honorary Member of the ODHA"..... :)

One thing that would be super cool: do they have the original cabin plan? I believe it was Univ of WI Extension plan 124. I've not perused the UW archives, just surprised I haven't seen it published.

This will be sweet!

Rob

Rob-
I emailed Kieth Crowley shortly after he published the biography and at that point the bulletin with the cabin plans had not surfaced. I would think if some entrepreneur type were able to reproduce plans for such a cabin they would be quite popular! Wink wink.

My hope is to bring a boat and go for a ride on a MacQuarrie water or two. If I can make it happen you're welcome to join.

Dave-
Looking forward to meeting you as well. When Delta ran the promo story on this exhibit on the back page of the winter issue, i became determined to make the trip this summer.

There was a DU article by guys that visited MacQuarrie's old hunting spots...posted a while back, might be in the archives?

The UofWis Bulletin was number 158. I have an emailed scanned copy. If I were technologically astute, I'd probably be able to figure out how to post it. I know there is a way to send emails to each other via this forum- haven't even figured that out yet. If I can I could forward the email.
That is the bulletin, but MacQuarrie didn't use any of the plans within. In his story "Stand the Logs on End" Field and Stream, Jan 1940 he states that he used a plan his wife found that was designed to be stick built. Even then he modified it.
The Milwaukee Journal March 5, 1939 has a line drawing and a floor plan of a cabin- the story doesn't say that it is Mac's cabin, but it sure looks like it to me.
Certainly bring a boat- visit Hole in the wall, pretty good fishing lake if you have Wis license. Dave Evenson

Nick- Maybe you should bring that coat with you!

I'll see what I can do on the plans.

Do you think it will be chilly that day? LOL just kidding, I'll put it on the list

The January, 1949 issue of Field & Stream has a story by Gordon MacQuarrie few readers of his work may be aware of.

Sourdough Geese (Emperor Goose hunting in Alaska)

Illustrated by Lynn Bogue Hunt, he also did the Canada Goose Hunting illustration on the cover.

There is a recent thread here regarding Emperor Goose hunting. If you can get a copy of the magazine, you can kill two birds with one stone.

Back