JUNE 2017 - What's on your workbench ?

Steve Sanford

Good morning, All~

George Williams "captured this teal in my garden!"....

G%20Williams%20GWT%20in%20garden_zpsrmxs9qf4.jpg

unnamed_zpsa4jlvc3w.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Steve, thanks for posting stuff up for me once in a while. Thanks also, Paisan, for challenging me to play a bit. The drake and his hembra were a nice break from my regular routine.

DecoyMonsterMachine - GWT full body decoy looks good. Can't wait to see the hen. Cut some longer stakes and yer good to go for huntin' over em.

DecoyMonsterMachine - That's a mighty fine pair of GWT. The hen decoy is a real eye catcher. Two thumbs up! Thanks for posting the photo's Steve.

Happy Fathers Day, All~

Well, George has been busy working on "duck stuff". These 18 are Mallards & Blacks:

Cork%20Mallards%20amp%20Blacks%20POST_zpsryqgsmgl.jpg

I have been focusing in "infrastructure" - re-painting the outside of my shop, cleaning out storage areas - and getting ready for a solar installation next month. My Father's Day present to myself - and my last 4 days of toil - is a wooden floor in the shed attached to my shop.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks, Steve--Since it was 90 today with high humidity, I got the 6 blacks painted during the Philadelphia Orchestra's April Rachmaninoff Festival. Just enough time for ticking, BD black and the silvery gray tertial area. Hen mallards are done up to the upper coverts, also.
Gotta water after it shades up a bit out back.
Happy Dad's day to all.

I'm quite envious of guys with the patience to hand carve 18 heads. I'm happy to do cork bodies but I fizzle on multiple heads. Beautiful rig in Steve's post.

Here's my spring run of black ducks, I couldn't decide what to make this year until I heard about two blacks this fall. There are two head models, eight of each. The original pair is still in the spindle. One body is very crumbly so it got plastered with filler. Just one of those things.

This group was assembled entirely with gorilla glue, I don't think I'll use it to attach heads again. The foaming requires too much repair around the neck for my taste. The tried and true resorcinol glue has been my family's go-to forever I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Good morning, SJ~

Very cool! We are all suffering from Spindle Envy right now.....

What wood are you using for the heads? Are the tail inserts also wood - or plywood?

Looking forward to the finished rig.

SJS

Just glue alone will be rather risky on the head/body connection. Suggest either a dowel or screw and washer inserted from the bottom, just as a fail-safe.
What is the history on the spindle?

Steve,

The heads are white cedar, the tails plywood. Maybe I'll try plastic tails on another run, but just using gorilla glue for a couple dozen decoys was a big departure for this dinosaur.

George,

Perhaps my post was misleading with respect to how heads are affixed. All heads are doweled to the bodies, I agree there's no way the black cork would resist twisting and banging.

The machine was owned by a local lumber mill/yard, the old timer who we got it from told us he bought it new. He and his kids dabbled with producing all kinds of stuff from decoys to toys. We got it free because he was going out of business and it was in an old two story chicken farm building, one of the type that's 50' x 150' or so. The lumber yard had used it to store lumber, and had a concrete floor poured on the second floor. To support the second floor load they installed 8x8 posts in random locations. To get the machine out of the building we had to install new posts in order to remove those which blocked removal of the machine. This was quite a thrilling experience as the building creaked and groaned every time a post was removed.

Some great work here!!

My "workbench" has consisted of going through every room/closet of our house and methodically ridding junk we have hoarded... and replacing a cpl of 15yr old couches. I'm ready for this to be over so I can get back to "fun" projects, heck, cutting privet is more satisfying that seeing all the wasted funds from junk we stashed in drawers.

Back