Wisconsin Decoys

Good morning, Tim~

Yet another great contribution! I really enjoyed the statewide overview. I had known of Owen Gromme as a bird artist but did not know about his decoy exploits.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks Steve
Quite the talented group of gentlemen mentioned in that piece.
One of Gromme's illustrations was used for the 1945 Federal Duck Stamp, a Black & White wash painting of Northern Shovelers in flight.
Enoch Reindahl was also an accomplished artist, and I didn't even mention Jospeh Gigl, Joe Seister, Gus Moak, Gus Nelow or dozen's of other Wisconsin carvers.
Rich, rich, rich decoy history in the Badger state. And by the way they made some pretty cool duck boats too!

Tim

Excellent work documenting this Tim! Regional decoy history will all but disappear unless our generation does something about it. I appreciate you doing your part. Another fine video! Pat

http://wisconsinsportingcollectibles.com/duck-decoys/northeast-green-bay

this website was recommended in the youtube video, I checked out the green bay area decoys and carvers. My dad (he's 90) used to hunt with Milt Geyer. and I am sure some of the other green bay carvers. Pa also has a Kidney boat co. Green Bay duck skiff made of cedar bought in 1952. (pa had me out in it when I was 4) Well, I confiscated it and did a rehab on it last summer. Pa used it well, it will live to hunt another 60 years now! very cool old stuff!!

Tim, would love to, major blunder, was going to take before and after pics and forgot the before! Not sure yet how to post pics now that photobucket is charging. didn't have an account anyway! hoping an easy way to post pics comes up soon..... I have edited pics to post but dose not do justice. ! frank

Back