If Images Are Not Displaying (Photobucket Changes Policy)

Anthony Babich

Gold Sponsor
For those of you that have been using a free photobucket.com account for your thread images...

It appears that photobucket has started monitoring/enforcing their terms of service regarding 3rd party linking. Effective June 26. 2017 That means if you have a free photobucket account, and you embed images into a 3rd party(like we all do here on duckboats.net) they will disable serving up your images until you sign up for their paid service.

I thought I was just special, but a quick google search turned up people all over the net on all kinds of forums reporting the same issue starting about 1 week ago.

Photobucket is happy to restore serving up images as long as you pay. It looks like they are steering everyone into a $399 year plan.

They are obviously betting that someone that has substantial images embedded in a forum will take the easy way out and cough up money, rather than going back and changing every link.

I'm in process of researching alternatives. I'm not giving photobucket a dime considering the extortion method they implemented. I suspect they wait until its apparent that you have several pictures linked before socking you with the lockdown.

If I can come up with a reasonable alternative I'll post an update. Unfortunately short of paying up to photobucket, you will likely have to edit every image post with a new tag pointing to a new server.

For those of you who want to save your images / threads/ posts you can save as a pdf before the server removes all images posted with a Photobucket link.

This will explain your images displaying as this:

19510214_10154525815147651_3939254921180077606_n_zps8mod4bgi.jpg

Last edited:
Well it was bond to happen sooner or later.

Wish this board was set up to make it easyer to upload pics straight from a smart phone, since I store most of my pics on my phone.

About 6 months ago I went to the paid membership at Photo-B. I was having issues with it loading on screen and up loading pictures.
The Wife set it up, I was thinking it was only $ 30.00 a year?
Since I started paying for the service it functions a 100X's better.

I have 37 pages of photos / videos on it and only 3% full.

About 6 months ago I went to the paid membership at Photo-B. I was having issues with it loading on screen and up loading pictures.
The Wife set it up, I was thinking it was only $ 30.00 a year?
Since I started paying for the service it functions a 100X's better.

I have 37 pages of photos / videos on it and only 3% full.

I did the same thing, improved speed of uploading and managing. From my understanding, it won't help this issue.

Good morning, Anthony~

Thanks for the heads up!

I sure hope Photobucket does not retroactively remove my images from this site. The ONLY reason I use Photobucket (pay ~ $100 per year) is so I can post large-size images on this site. It looks like I have posted more than 4000 images here over the years. $400/year to retain these images makes no economic sense to me.

(An interesting similar "development" in the World of Technology Controlling our Lives: since I updated Windows 10 last month, I have lost the ability to insert photos within the text of my gmail e-mails.....only attachments work now.)

All the best,

SJS

I too have been paying for the lower level plan that does not allow "hosting". Hmmm, what to do? Photobucket has been working so much better the last while. I guess they need to pay for the improvements now.

So what are our options? What can we do collectively to maintain the ability to share detailed photos. This forum is so valuable because of the information and photo documentation involved. Do we all need to pony up $400 to Photobucket? Is there another host that we should get familiar with? Can we financially boost this site to support our needs? I PMed Eric, so I am asking this here to see if there is anyone knowledgeable on what it would take? I sure do miss the days when I could cut and paste from facebook!

Dave,

I've been a proponent of taking advantage of this site to host all the pictures I want to post here ever since my previous host site, Image Shack stopped free 3rd party hosting a number of years back. It's a bit more work manipulating photos to get them under 100K but it's a safe bet that your photos will stay with your posts. I still get annoyed when I open an old post of mine and see the red X boxes.

It is more work, I used to have a simple program but today's 64 bit systems won't run it. Today I use a free software "GIMP" (GNU Image Manipulation Program). It's way more complex/feature filled than I need but it works quickly if you know what your doing. If anyone has a better program please share. GIMP lets you size the image independently then adjust the amount of compression when your exporting it back out to a jpeg. Meanwhile you can crop filter and mess with the image to your hearts content.

I know with the large image files today's cameras take 100 K sounds tiny but for sharing stories and how-tos 100 K works fine. Here are two pictures already hosted to show options without tying up additional memory. If there is interest I can write up a quick guide on sizing in GIMP.

Scott

Edit, it didn't work. Linking to existing hosted pictures from previous post didn't work see examples of photos in post below:

Last edited:
Scott,
Works great now. Yes those photos are exactly what is needed. Small enough file size yet LARGE enough in physical size to see what is in the photo. I'm sorry, these old eyes just can't see much detail in a postage stamp size picture. Your examples are great.

I would be so stoked if I could just post photos from my phone, I think participation would be much higher( it is definitely the reason why I don't post as much, it's hard to show off big togs, mushrooms or decoys without a pic)

I wouldn't mind donating a bird for a site raffle if we could get that feature.im sure I'm not the only one. I don't know how feasible it would be to do, I think you can do it on tapatalk?

I'm with Chris,if we could all download straight from our phones that would be awesome .And I believe more people would participate.I have many times tried to post pics and couldn't.

I'm with Chris,if we could all download straight from our phones that would be awesome .And I believe more people would participate.I have many times tried to post pics and couldn't.

I agree and have contacted Gossamer to see if there is a way to add this functionality.

HOLY CATS!!! That's a big arse coot pic!

I'll need to mess around with it a bit more to figure out the sizing issue. That's insane.

Loaded with Dropbox, I have an account that's like $9.99 a month for a quadrillion tera-giga bytes or something.

Back