July 4th Project

Tim Speight

I've been bringing this project along, slowly, the past couple of years.

Sandblasted, painted and rewired the trailer.

Stripped the hull, inside and out.

Flipped the beast over (with help from friends) to coat the bottom with slick epoxy bottom product.

Flipped it back over (with help from more friends).

Installed new floatation foam, and a new deck.

Was time for some color. Painted the hull and topsides with Petit EZPoxy.

Here's the before:

[inline Rawboat.jpg]

And here's the after:

[inline Paintedboat.jpg]

View attachment Rawboat.JPG
View attachment Paintedboat.JPG

Eric has an extensive explanation in the help area.
But here's my brief description:
Save your photos to your computer using a file name that has no spaces (make sure your text and photos are going to be smaller than 100 KB)
Then in the posting area click on the Browse button and select the photo you want to use, click the inline box, then click the upload attachment button.
In the comments area insert this string...[inline filename.jpg]....include the brackets.
Click the Preview Post button, and you should see the images as part of the post.
Tim

Good morning, Tim~

Great job! What vessel is it ?

More important - how did you like the EZPoxy ? Did you apply with brush, roller, spray ?

All the best,

SJS

Hi Steve
The vessel is a 1974 StarCraft Holiday 21 I purchased from an older gentleman in Wisconsin. I thought the deck,transom and motor were in better condition than they turned out to be, so once I started digging I kept going until there was only a bare hull.
The hull paint was questionable in my opinion so I had the hull chemically stripped (media blasting would have been too aggressive for the 40 year old aluminum). The exterior of the hull sat bare while I worked to get the bottom coating applied, replace the foam flotation, and install a new deck.
Prepping for paint was tedious and required scrubbing the entire area to be painted with a weak acid solution and scotch-brite pad to both remove the aluminum oxide and scuff the surface.
A self etching primer went on next and required overnight curing before the paint could be applied.
The EZ Poxy paint was simple to apply once I determined the roll and tip method wasn't going to work for my application. Rolling then tipping left visible lines wherever the brush began and stopped regardless of how light the stroke was. The paint layer needed to be as thin as I could make it, as the paint would sag and run if there was any excess on the steep sides of the hull. Once applied in a thin even layer, and allowed a few moments to coalesce the surface smoothed to a very satisfactory result. Temperature and humidity are important factors to consider. Curing time ranges from 8 to 16 hours based on conditions and the manufacturer recommends waiting over night before applying an additional coat.
I'll be interested to see how durable the paint is.
Tim

Hi Tim, was able to put up some pics but failed at the [inline filename.jpg] must be doing something wrong. I will keep playing with it........................................

Back