Canceling dove trip to Arizona ... alternatives

Brandon Yuchasz

So I am quite disappointed with mother nature this summer and yes I realize this is a ridiculous statement.

My son and I had planned to fly down to Arizona for a dove hunt when their season opened on September 1st. We were going to get in a few days early and do some scouting and then hunt the 1st through the 3rd and head back home for him to start school. With how hot its been down in AZ this summer and no relief in site for our near border town location we have decided to cancel. Hunting in 110 degrees just doesn't interest a couple of guys from the far north of the country. The low at night is only projected to be in the 80's.

So I am considering some alternative idea's I would really like to make this trip happen with him. He is 15 now and it was his idea to take the trip after watching a video on it. I have the vacation time and the budget set aside so its hard to stay home and just work. Besides time is flying by with him I don't really want to miss another opportunity to spend time with him.

So I am reaching out to the duckboats collective for other idea's. Obviously don't post any real specific location I don't want to hurt someones local hunting area. I am just looking for ideas.

What ever we do can be done anytime in August or the first few days of September.

He really wants to Dove hunt. We dont get to do that here in Michigan. I have family in Ohio but no access to really good area's .

We could do teal hunting. I have not been sucessful in my area trying it we just dont see the push of migrating teal on the west end of the UP but we could travel to do it somewhere else. Again family in Ohio but all we would have access to is draw areas and we may have missed those deadlines.

Early upland adventures gets me going when I think about them. I have this bug about chuckar hunting the last few years I still haven't scratched but I think that might be to early to target them and I don't know if forced marches at high elevations are going to be as exciting for a 15 year old teen. He IS a teen! but a good kid too. But upland birds could be fun as long as its an adventure too. The cool thing about AZ was it was an adventure for both of us.

Honestly any small game or maybe large game adventure would be fun. Just needs to hit the time frame. I already have a Arizona license and Nevada License this year since I applied for big game points. So those would be bonuses if I could use one..

So guys and girl (Dani). if you had some vacation time and some change in your pocket where would you head with the kid?

Last edited:
Teal season won't open until after the first week of September most places that I'm aware of.

I would reconsider Arizona. Desert heat may be more tolerable than you think, plus you wont be hunting the middle of the day. Dove hunting most places will be a warm or hot weather affair. Most places you go that time of year will run the risk of hot weather unless it's high latitude or high altitude.

Down here in Alabama it is hot during dove season but not like that. Google dove hunts in Alabama or Mississippi and you will find plenty of opps. A ,lot of the hunting lodges plant sunflowers and have really good shooting. I think the daily limit is 12 or 15. Dove hunts down here are a social event as well as a hunt. Usually a BBQ at night. Prices are fairly reasonable. $150-$200 per day per person.
Be sure to go with a reputable lodge. This is the first opp. for game wardens to write game violation tickets for the year and they love to stake out illegally baited fields. It does not matter if you are a guest or owner. If it's baited, you get a citation.
Hope you find a spot.

September 1 is usually goose hunting in the morning and dove hunting in the afternoon. Depending what state you decide to hunt you may be able to waterfowl and dove hunt if interested in mixed bag.

How about someplace farther north in the west like Idaho? You could do forest grouse and doves.

Tim

If he was 16 I would suggest Saskatchewan for all the cool opportunities there. I don't think non-residents aged 13-15 can get a youth license there. Might be mistaken though.

Same thing in Ontario where they do have a dove season. You can only buy a non-resident permit if you are at least 16 years of age.

Something to think about for next year. Sorry, I can't help with US destinations.

How about Louisiana? I am willing to bet you can find a place that does teal & doves.
But its gonna be hot there as well, and humid. I'd rather be in the desert!

Well I can't help you with the dove part, though I'd guess for the most part anywhere you go early season will be warm. Teal and dove would be a lot of fun I'm sure. You might even be able to get in some rail hunts, which can be a really neat form of hunting.

I would be more inclined to go with Tim's suggestion of forest grouse and dove...you might even get into some quail, if the season is open for them that early. But if I had the time and money burning holes in my pocket, I'd want to head somewhere where the nights are cooler than down here and with lots of mountains so I am a little biased.

I can't think of any places other than maybe Alaska that would open before September 1 for any bird hunting season. Gator season in FL opens up in August though....but it would be hot and humid down here. Though not 110 degree hot since it's mainly done at night. If that's something you were interested in I could make a suggestion or two for guides...

I'm checking in to all the suggestions made. Paul, Saskatchewan does allow youth hunting for no resident kids under direct supper vision .
Tim,
I'll look into Idaho. I'm always looking for excuses to go west.
Dani,
My wife looked at me like Im nuts on the gator idea so it's definitely so.ething to consider.

I am very blessed to have all the opportunities to hunt and travel right now and am very thankful for them. I will be turning around and heading to Manitoba on the 6th of September with good friends after this trip but I'll be sure to post pictures of what ever we do here on duckboats.
Still open to other ideas thanks everyone

So, you are an Ohio native who knows where good dove concentrations are, but is unwilling/unable to secure the access to these sites? This sounds like why most people hire a guide or guide service.
Teal migrate through the Great Lakes in abundance, primarily using Great Lakes coastal marshes. The same story as the first one sentence paragraph: Hunt the right "dirt" and the game oddly appears in numbers.

Paul funny you bring that up. I have been toying with the idea of a north west territory trip in the next few years. I would want to devote more then just 5 or 6 days though. Obviously would need to do a lot of research and employ some local guides but it would be one great adventure.
There is an old DU TV episode where they did a trip
I tend to watch it every few years and dream.

I appreciate all the messages everyone lots to follow up on.

Last edited:
I too would reconsider the Arizona trip, as a few others have mentioned.. It's not that kind of hot. The dove hunting would be early AM, and late PM.. maybe just early AM depending on how the action is. I'm maybe the closest to Arizona (Al Hansen maybe?) and wearing long sleeves early am is not unbearable.. Also worth noting, I've been gator hunting in September.. and while that is extreme fun, it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY more unbearable heat than dessert dove hunting. That's wet, soaking, nasty humidity heat there.

Last edited:
Hot weather and Sept. 1st dove hunting go hand in hand. A water hole, food & grit, and the action is as hot as the temp. Take lots of water for the dogs and hunters and you'll be fine.

As far as I'm concerned there is no better way to get a youngster, or new hunter hooked, than early season dove hunting. I have seen to many cases of youngsters killing a big buck, or a long beard gobbler right off the bat, and then give up on hunting cuz they figure it's easy.

There is no replacement for Dove Hunting. It's #1 hunting for a very good reason.

Back