A new boat in the works pt. 2

Cody Williams

Here's an update on my boat build, been a while since I've posted but I've been steadily working away. I hope I can get the photos properly posted as I'm done with photobucket, I'm trying out hosting photos on Flickr now. We will see how it goes!

I had some friends come help me flip the hull, and then started on the bottom-the bottom glassing schedule is 1 layer of 6oz Kevlar with a layer of 6oz glass cloth over it. Probably overkill but gives me peace of mind on those late season days when I'm breaking ice!

36032659055_61ef782298_z.jpg

After glassing, the sheer clamps and keel went on, I managed to scavenge a really nice 16' piece of clear fir for them. Here's the bow bottom after filling with 2 thick coats of epoxy-
35222498553_b62f8a0668_z.jpg

The whole bottom then got a thorough sanding, then a couple coats of 2k high build auto primer
36032660045_fce0062073_b.jpg

36032658085_7e3252d559_b.jpg

I then added a 1"x1/8 aluminum strip down the center of the keel, held on with 5200 and stainless screws. Then the hull bottom got 2 coats of dead grass green FME, which for some reason I didn't photograph. I had to set boatbuilding aside for a few days due to real world work-I've put up almost 600ft of stained oak base on this job, as well as a bunch of custom casework-here's a 10' tall double cased window set that took a few days of work to get done!

35861571332_69a3ccdc29_b.jpg

I had some friends come and help me flip the hull back over, she's sitting on her trailer now for the rest of the build. I finished adding cockpit floor supports to the hull inside-the sole panels will run from side to side and be bonded in all the way around, should make for a really strong hull.

36032658685_c1e34cd1c6_b.jpg

Here's the cockpit sole pieces, cut to shape and with 2 coats of epoxy on the bottoms-
35861572752_6e08765149_b.jpg

I installed them yesterday, bonded to the floor supports with 5200 and stainless screws. I like using the 5200 on the cockpit soles, it gives a great bond and retains a good bit of flexibility. More photos to come soon!

Last edited:
Good morning, Cody~

Great work all around! I like the generous weep holes in your floor framing. Will you have inspection/access ports in your sole?

All the best,

SJS

Love it - makes me want to sell the big lund and build a honker, or something similar. boat building is a blast. you are doing some nice precision work there.

Thanks guys! Steve-I will have 2 big access ports into the floor, one thing I've learned is that you can never have enough access or drainage!

Really like the lines of this hull!

Are you adding more keelsons? Worried about tracking??

Thanks again guys! Carl, I am sticking with the single keel for now, it's basically the same bottom as my 12' sneak boat and I haven't had any problems with tracking. I think the hard chines help when going straight, it does slide a bit in a hard turn but running shallow water/mud will be the main duty of this hull so I'm willing to compromise a bit.

Back