Sorts Duck Related: Anyone in the Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota Area

Carl

Staff member
Starting to plan a career change that is going to happen the Summer 2019.
Starting to consider the Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota area.

Anyone with have any insights on the area? I know quite a bit about the fishing & hunting opportunities and employment possibilities does not appear to be a problem for my field and level of experience, so I have that part covered.
Wanted some insight on cost of living, commuting, middle/high schools, quality of life, stuff like that.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post publically!

I don't know a whole lot about that area in regards to living there. I've been down there a few times for work and I can tell you LOTS of people and long commutes for most people who work at our lab in Tampa. Really good Cuban food down there.

Ed L. lived down in that area for a while. Perhaps he will chime in....

Thanks!
How did the like the Jacksonville area? That is also an option, though I prefer the Gulf Coast.

If you're gonna live in the Jacksonville area and you're interested in your kids having good education from public school, stay out of Duval County. There are some good schools, but for the most part stay out. Clay County or St. Johns County would be better places for them to go to school. I was actually having this conversation recently with some friends in the Jacksonville area and pretty much everyone was saying if you need to work in Jacksonville, try to find a place to live outside of Duval County. A lot of the city is going downhill fast, though the city is trying to revamp itself. Traffic will be bad going to and from the south during rush hour. Not as bad to the west, though not good, and more "country" to the west. I haven't heard anything good or bad about school systems in Nassau County(north) and Baker County(west). But a lot of people, even when I was going to school, were leaving Duval to go to Clay and St. Johns County to send their kids to school. Good fishing opportunities in Jacksonville area. You will likely end up traveling for duck hunting opportunities. If I were to choose between St. Johns and Clay counties to live in, I'd choose St. Johns but part of that is because close to Jacksonville, it's a nicer place to live than the areas the same distance away in Clay County.

If you're going to be working for the City of Jacksonville, beware because they have had problems in managing their monies. I have a friend with JSO who was ready to retire a few years back but couldn't because the city was mismanaging their money very badly and the retirement funds weren't there for people ready to retire. I think they've recently changed to a 401K style fund but am not certain on that. So beware if you work for the City of Jacksonville....they have had a hard time properly managing their money. Hopefully good changes have been made in the last two years or so.

But it's a good location for fishing and it's close to central FL and they can have good duck hunting and snipe hunting.

I liked living in Jax though. Close to the beach. Close to boat ramps. Not too far from duck hunting. Things were convenient. But everyone has told me that if I were to move back to Jax, that I need to stay away from the area where I used to live and I wish that I could get my mom to move out of where she lives. It's not a good neighborhood. I never liked it to begin with but it's gotten a lot worse. And pretty much everyone has told me if I move back, don't live in Duval County. Live in one of the surrounding counties.

Hi Carl. Tampa/St. Pete? Well, it's pretty expensive. Realtors are like sharks circling the pretty yellow fish new to the bay. Pay rates include the fact you live in the sunshine state. Sinkhole insurance is expensive and manditory if you have a mortgage. At least it was when we were there. After hurricane Wilma, I believe, there was a shortage of building materials. Drywall was imported from China. Insurance companies started refusing to insure structures rebuilt with this drywall because it has fermaldehide in it and was making people sick. Just be careful and hire a good inspector. Not the one the bank uses. Wost drivers in the country! Many of those from other countries and Iowa!...lol. long commutes anywhere. BUT we had a blast there. Our kids are grown so I'm afraid I can't comment on schools. Media Beach was our favorite. About the only public beach you can bring alcohol on legally. Hess gas station is right across the street and has everything you could want. Plenty of things to do. You won't get bored. Fishing great! Hunting not so much. There are some nice spots but you have to learn the ropes. Pinelas County is a bird sanctuary so be care. No firearms allowed. The DNR knows exatly where the imaginary line is on Tampa Bay. Better hunting in the space coast. Contact Hitch for hunting ideas. Dani too. She knows where to go. That will get you started. Are you changing professions? Good luck.

Good info, thanks!

Not changing careers, just employers, I'll have 25 years in and can leave with full retirement in June 2019. But with a 10 year old, I'll be working for at least another 10 years.

Both Dani and I are products of the Public School System of Duval County......buwhahahahahahaha.....that should steer you clear of that area.......

The area that is going to be the "closest" to what you're used to there is the Panhandle....say from the Big Bend area out and West.....don't have a clue on school there but I can tell you that its a different FLorida than the rest of the State....Tallahassee is a "big city" for that area but its small in comparison to the Tampa and St. Pete and Jax and the zoo's on the East Coast......if there schools are good there and you can find a job I'd be looking in that area...

DUck hunting has really declined in Florida in my opinion...too many people and not enough productive marsh and its turned into a "if you want a good duck hunt you need to draw a permit"...and those are extremely limited...as an example I haven't drawn in two years and neither has Dani......the people over in the Panhandle think they have crowds but in comparison not really.....Redheads and Bluebills in the Gulf.....AND they actually have seasons over there...

Thanks for the input Steve, talked to the boss today and she says Fort Walton Destin Panama City beach areas are open for consideration too. Need to start looking at how the high schools are....

Thanks again Dani, looking like Jaxville are is slipping off the list

Back