Behr paint question for Steve S

Brad F

Sponsor
Hi Steve...Last time I was at HD I stopped to scope out the paint counter and try to make sense (I'm a little thick headed at times) of your instructions on your paint use. To say I was overwhelmed would be an understatement. :) I have a few questions before I stop back and try to get some paint. I searched on here as much as I could and didn't find these answers. If they are there in past post forgive me for asking again.

Your reference to Flat White and Flat Black but give no paint code. Is there just one of each? Seems there is usually some confusion on which white and black color when I start looking at colors.

Do I need to know which base to use when having HD mix the sample size containers of your differant recommended colors? I see some are mixed with differant bases in your pictures.

Some of your paints are obviously differant products as the codes are of a differant format. No problem getting them mixed into the Ultra samples?

Thanks for any help to enlighten me on these issues.

Brad Forgey
Spokane

Good morning, Brad~

Here are a few thoughts:

re Flat Black and Flat White: My experience has been that HD will mix this up without a color name or code. In practice, I usually have a quart of each on hand in the shop - and they might be other brands - as from my local hardware store. They key is that they are exterior flat (not matte or eggshell, for example) latex. I believe the sample jars are only offered in Flat and Matte lusters .

re Color Codes: Behr has changed their color-coding system over time. Wherever possible, I try to use and recommend current color names and codes. My experience getting "old-code" colors mixed varies with the person behind the counter. Most are willing to look up the formulae for older codes - but some staff are in the "dim bulb" category and are not as helpful.....

For example, one color is use on many species is ELEPHANT SKIN. It is a warm grey with a "modern" code: PPU 18-16 The 8-ounce color sample jar reads Behr Premium Plus Ultra on the side of the jar. The paper label on the lid reads BEHR ULTRA BASE UL 204.

An older color - that I use on the sides of Brant - is ASHWOOD. It is a greyish-tan with the "old" code: 720D-4. I was able to get one mixed recently when the woman behind the counter used her "can do" approach to cross-reference the code and mix it up.

re Bases I think the bases used are solely related to the color family. The 2 examples I cited above both use the UL 204 base - but a quick look through my paint drawer revealed several different base codes.

Hope this helps,

SJS

Back