Dodger on a Devlin Broadbill

Bill Burruss

All,

Here are some dodger pictures you may be interested in. After 6 years, I got around to putting a dodger on my Devlin Broadbill. Actually took the time to make 2 dodgers- one is open water grey, and the other is camo. I also made a cockpit cover with one side grey, the other camo, so that it is reversible. Both dodgers are made from Cordura 1000 and sewn on a home sewing machine w/nylon thread and 18 gauge (best) or 16 gauge needles.

The frame is out of 7/8 inch aluminum tubing, which I bent with a conduit metal bender. This is the layout board I used to keep it symmetrical. Made several test bows from 3/4 inch conduit before bending the aluminum.
DSCN737.jpg

The leading edge of the dodger is held on with aluminum awning rail. Again, symmetry was important to me, so I bent one side to the boat, took it off, traced the pattern on a 2x8, then bent the second to match the line. Note the cuts (made with the trusty Dremel tool) every 1, 2 or 4 inches to allow bending. The bottom edge of the dodger is doubled over and sewn about an inch up so that a rope can be run through it. This is run through the awning rail to hold the dodger on.
DSCN736.jpg

The structure set up for pattern making.
DSCN743.jpg

Tape pattern.
DSCN745.jpg

Laying out the pattern on the camo Cordura 1000.
DSCN746.jpg

Here is the open water configuration.
DSCN749.jpg

DSCN748.jpg

Have not tried this configuration for open water hunting yet. Right now the boat is grassed for other duck habitat. It has the camo dodger on it, and I covered the top of the deck and dodger with dyed raffia grass.

For contrast, here is how I attached the dodger for my BB2.
snaps.jpg

reda0001-1.jpg

Have a great season!

-Bill

Last edited:
Bill,

Nice job. Is there a slot in the awning rail that the dodger edge slips into or do you have a bungee holding the fabric tight to the awning rail? I kept this for future reference.

Ed L.

Ed,

Thanks. Awning rail end looks like this. I ran a rope through the edge of the dodger, then threaded the dodger onto the awning rail. The 2 ends of the rope are tied to some brass strapeyes. I did use 2 bungees to pull the aluminum tube bow "back" and keep the dodger tight. One point I did not discuss in the post was that I added 1-2 inches around the pattern for the cut line on the cordura. The fabric is folded along that line, and sewn to make a channel for the rope. On the bungee and aluminum tubing connections, rather than sewing loops, I used velcro to attach the fabric around them. Thus the dodger is treaded onto the chanel first, then the velcro goes around the aluminum and bungee.

DSCN1740.jpg

-Bill

Thanks for sharing your great pic and such an excellent job.....is there any improvement that you would do different?.......John
ps I would like to attemp a project like this after duck season :)

John,

Thanks. One thing not in the pictures is that I put grass loops on the edges of the camo dodger. Zip-tied nylon netting to that, and raffia on top of that. Makes for great concealment in grass. Also, you could sew pockets or call holders to the inside. I've only hunted the Broadbill a few times this year (mostly hunt the BB2 since my son goes w/me), but it's been good so far. The awning rail holds at 70 mph, the bungee setup allows me to operate the boat w/the dodger down for maximum visibilty, the cockpit lid still fits over the combing, and the aluminum tubing has held up well. The dodger goes up easily and quickly, and is very efficient.

Take care!

-Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm dredging up this post... Hope you don't mind.

I want to put a dodger on my boat so my kids have a place to go that is out of the sun. I priced one with some local canvas shops and they want big $$$ to do it ($900-1200 for a simple one, no windows). I just want a basic dodger, a lot like the one you had on your BB2.

I rigged up a temporary one out of a plastic tarp this weekend, and it worked great for the kids. It looked pretty agricultural though, so I'd like to make one that is more nautical-ish.

Can you comment on the difficulty of sewing the top? The only sewing I've ever done was to put patches on uniforms, this looks a little more complicated. Did you use a special machine? Do you think it could be done with a home sewing machine? I was thinking about ordering some sunbrella, and snagging my wife's machine... (hope she doesn't read this)...

About how long did the project take you?

Also, if anyone else has done this, I'd appreciate your input too.

Thanks,
Charlie

Bill, Looks great, now I have more work to do this summer. I am working on a similar project and will post some pics as it comes together. Thanks for the great post.

Charlie,

All my sewing has been done on an inexpensive home machine (White household type model 1411), which I bought 15 or so years ago to sew uniform patches. Sewing the dodger was not too tough, although I suspect the stress on the machine was on the upper end of what it was designed for. One difference is that I used Cordura 1000d, not Sunbrella. I actually started making the fabric part of my BB2 lid (the one in my recent post) out of Sunbrella, and decided to ditch it for Cordura because the Sunbrella was significantly less flexible, which made it hard to maneuver through the machine (no issues with the needle punching holes). I knew I'd have to make some more complicated shapes to fit over the engine, and did not want a fight turning things inside out and negotiating around the throat of the machine. I do recommend 18 gauge needles and upholstery (heavy nylon) thread as I'd guess 4 or more layers of Cordura takes more effort that an Army patch on a set of BDUs. I use(d) 16 gauge for patch work.

As far as time, I'm terribly slow at sewing, and spread the dodger project over several work sessions, so I can not give you an estimate, other than I'm sure labor factors into the cost to have one custom made. Now if you could get it done in Korea, those folks are fast and skilled on a sewing machine.

Good luck with the project!

-Bill

Tom,

Thanks. Sounds like you have a great project of the off-season. Can not wait to see the results!

Take care,

Bill

Bill,

I had forgotten that you made those dodgers... I have to admit, that's pretty cool. I'd rather save and shell out the clams as that looks way too hard ; )

Good luck on the move,

(BTW - I installed my brand new axel, springs, hubs, etc... for the grand sum of $212, salt water is the silent killer of metal).

Thanks, Bill.

I ordered some marine sunbrella off ebay and mocked up a frame tonight.

I need to find the fittings and aluminum next. I saw where you posted the size in one of these link, I think I'll pick up some of the fittings at a boat place and hit the local metal yard to see what they have that fits. If my mock up is right, I need about 17' total (I'm going to do a 2 bow frame).

I went for the grey, so I can use the extra for a seaduck blind. I'll have to get some of those needles and giv'er a go. I'll post pictures.

Thanks!

Charlie

PS. Nice work Andrew, it sounds like a good price for a whole new axle setup. Trailer parts don't come cheap.

Bill, Talk about cheap machines- I started with a converted treddle (sp) machine given to me by my mother in law. Then I moved up to a White(forgot what model) bought at a garage sale for a whole $5.00. Finally it went the way of all good machines and was not repairable any more. Went to Fleet Farm about a year ago and for the princely sum of I believe about $50.00 got myself a brand new Singer. HOLY CRAP does that one work. Now I look around for some more sewing projects and repairs. Nice dodger.

Charlie,

Here is where I got my Bimini hardware and aluminum tubing /awning rail. http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_listing.asp_Q_CatID_E_409_A_SubCatID_E_439_A_ProdID_E_3200
They have a nice variety of hardware. Also, I have yet to order too much fabric- seems there is always another project around the corner.

I got my Sunbrella off Ebay, too, and I hope you are happier with what you get than I was.

Andrew,
Glad to hear you got your boat back up- sounds like you got a good deal on the axle and gear. I'm paying attention- since I'm heading to a salt water area, no more going 4-5 years without pulling hubs!

Tom,
Yep, having the tool begs the project. Think I paid about $100 for my machine, but it paid for itsself before I started duck hunting, so the boat accessories have been gravey.

Take care!
-Bill

Yeah Bill... live and learn. I stupidly waited 2 seasons. Never again.

EVERY SEASON in the salt ; )

Hi Bill,

I'm getting there. I got my needles (18 guage), the fabric came in the mail on a big tube, and I made some patterns out of an old tarp. Now to get the patterns onto the sunbrella and sew it together...

My wife suggested transferring the patterns to the sunbrella using chalk, does that sound reasonable?

Also, what kind of thread did you use? I found some "outdoor thread" polyester T67 (I think is what it said). Is that okay stuff to use? I don't have any idea what the numbers mean, but it said for outdoor stuff...

Who knew duck hunting would make me into a tailor.... ?? :)

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie,

You might use some of the high tech braided fishing line. I use it for all kinds of sewing. It is super strong, small diameter, won't rot and has a slick surface that allows it to glide thru the needle quite nicely.

Power Pro is what I've been using. I imagine that Spider wire would be almost the same product. Don't use Fireline because that is not a true braid and the diameter is not consistent enough to flow thru a needle smoothly.

I use 20lb test thru a standard sewing machine. Twenty lb. Power Pro is just slightly larger in diameter than standard #50 sewing thread. Sometimes I'll use a heavier weight on some hand sewn jobs.

Back