Hevi X shotshells from Hevi Shot?

John Bourbon

I got an email from Mack's about something called Hevi X from the Hevi Shot people. Their website is very lite on actual info on it as to shot composition, etc. Do any of you guys know anything about it?

John Bourbon

Hevi-X is a different configuration of straight Hevi-shot. Both are Tungsten matrix based pellet loads. One is sold and marketed as the Premium shot in terms of down-range ballistics...when compared to steel, NOt its "brother", which would carry more down-range energy than steel pellet loads, since it, too, is heavier than comparable sized lead shot. I like Rocky Road, others may prefer Vamilla or Neopolitan! Steel loads have come a long way from the cobbled-up configurations that we shot when non-toxic shot was first mandated.

John,

I just tried to do a search of current shot offerings and their density. I was looking specifically for a density chart. I can't find anything current which leads me to the cynical conclusion that what we are seeing is good marketing with the goal of enhancing the product's "sizzle".

John,

I just tried to do a search of current shot offerings and their density. I was looking specifically for a density chart. I can't find anything current which leads me to the cynical conclusion that what we are seeing is good marketing with the goal of enhancing the product's "sizzle".----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ding, ding, ding, ding!!! We now have a winner in the flavor du Juor Hevi Shot contest!
Honestly, unless the polished their tungsten matrix pellets, I strongly doubt with there is anything different other than maybe a wad/shotcup alteration for this load.

I have been debating purchasing some to test this year in Canada just for giggles. Been using the Hevi-Metal #2, #4, and #6s for years now. I do know the birds hit with Hevi-Metal have been deadlier on my typical shot distance versus steel, birds are dead on splash versus neck ringers. The one thing that is puzzling to me is that they market The Hevi-X out to 40, 50, 60 yard ranges with great success. I am just not a long distance shooter anymore which is my internal debate. If I can't make out the nails on their feet I don't even like to think about shooting. In all cases I have discovered that within 20 yard even 30 yards on ducks a 2 steel is effective as a 2, 4 or 6 Hevi-Metal to knock birds down. For the sake of shooting geese for the similar price of Tungsten I have never had troubles buckling geese out to 40 to 50 yards using my 10 gauge. The lack there of not buckling geese is just a missed shot. An plainly it does not matter what shot your sending down range a miss is a miss. My thought has always been on shot is that if you are at the point of hunting, an I have been there in my life on several occasions, that if you start to worry about sending $1.25, $2.50, or $4.00 downrange on a miss shot its time to start hunting within your financial means. I believe the only variable as always in a good shooters arsenal is not the shot selection as much it is what are you willing to pay for shot at the time of purchase. In high school I was scraping my change jar, mowing, and etc. to buy $79 2 3/4" 2 shot for my 12, in college I worked an extra job just to do the same, and even now in my career I have to think about someone besides myself and tend to do the same when needed. I have no doubts as a hunter and as a career engineer (scientifically) that tungsten is a far superior load over steel on target no matter how much steel loads have improved. If the design of this new load is showing 60 yards I believe the Hevi-X can do it. Still walking the line on cost one box of 20 gauge in size 4 is just as expensive as 10 gauge BBBs in steel.

There is a post on shooting a lighter load and gun gauge on this board. The OP mentions how many rounds he has sent downrange near the beginning of the thread. I am willing to bet without knowing the guy that he can shoot Hevi Shot's standard and Hevi-X to its full advantage. I think he generally shoots Fiocchi steel loads at waterfowl.
Consistent good gun mount, with your head down on the sight plane throughout target tracking, and adequate lead estimation equate to birds hit consistently. Most hunters fail to do all three with any regularity. The new(er) steel loads are formulated with better wads and more efficient powder, plus many are faster, enabling some level of compensation for poor lead. Our pattern boards did not instill confidence in the shotshells during the inception period for non-toxic shot. Many hunters still carry that bias. Do you notice that almost all loads are marketed for their "improved" ability to hit hard at distance? I always find that interesting, since it is the shooter who largely determines how consistently he or she can kill a bird at those ranges. You're already shooting a load that is a mix of tungsten and steel. If you are satisfied with the results, why pay a premium price for an all tungsten load?
I would guesstimate that well over 90% of hunters can't hit a bird consistently at the range interval that Hevi-X's marketing implies that it provides superior performance. That said, via your training, you comprehend full-well that it carries more energy at a slightly higher speed at these distances, so its performance, in the right hands, is likely superior to standard steel or even high speed steel shot.
I'll shoot nearly anything I can identify inside 45 yards. My experience with Federal's Black Cloud instills the confidence to shoot the first two rounds via their Close Range #3 in 3". I pass a lot of teal waiting for mallards, wood ducks, gadwall, or redheads. Pintail just slid to second tier this year. Rogers has their first generation Black Cloud rounds on sale for $9.50 a box with the $75 rebate submission.
As I said earlier, there are lots of "flavors" out there, with largely one consistent marketing message- "Our load kills 'em dead at marginal distances where most hunters miss!" While good fiction should be rewarded, shotshells are one area where this axiom does not apply. Something tells me I would not do well in a marketing position.
I admit I picked-up several cases of Hevi shot during the Remington/Hevi shot collaboration interval's close-out, still shooting through them sparingly as my third round or for geese and cranes. A friend with "deep pockets", who also can shoot, swears by their 2 3/4" in #5 for ducks. We could both repeatedly shoot at the same five birds; I would hit three or sometimes four, while he could routinely hit all five. Is it his shot choice? No.

I love 2 3/4" #3 BlackCloud.... BUT.. If I ever get to St Paul to shoot King Eiders, I am shooting Hevi-Shot!

From a pro staffer at EMI ......

"Similar pellet process as bismuth pellets except of course ours are made of tungsten and not bismuth. The HEVI-X pellets start in a tungsten powder form mixed with polymers and each is compressed to a certain psi giving them malleability or softness. Pellets weigh just under lead in the high 9 gram per cubic centimeter range but with speeds of 1450 fps expect similar results with lead loads."

Last edited:
If it can hold a pattern and not break up in flight @ 1450 fps I'm interested in trying these.

Blue bird days and not even a breeze kept a lot of birds on the "line" for me. Partly because I needed glasses my distance ability was off, but also due a lot more "pass" shooting than feet down. If I can put a #5 tungsten vs a #3 steel at a comparable FPS, that would seem better maths :)

The combo Hevi-Metal didn't seem with the extra cost to straight steel, and the original Hevi Shot just seemed excess expense. This could be a decent compromise.

A stretch back, I used heavy shot #2 on mile high cacklers. 60 yard shots with a 20 ga killed them dead. I was really impressed with their performance, but, I had to go without lunch for a couple of days to pay for them.

$250 for a 7 lb bottle!

I never really looked into reloading with it, because I figured it'd require a 2nd mortgage.

Last edited:
Thanks, BobM. So, roughly twenty-some percent denser than comparable steel loads and about the same percent cheaper than Hevi-shot. I'll pass.

From a pro staffer at EMI ......

"Pellets weigh just under lead in the high 9 gram per cubic centimeter range but with speeds of 1450 fps expect similar results with lead loads."

Hmmmmm the density of Bismuth is 9.6 and lead is 11.1 so "high 9gr/cc" is really a LOT closer to Bismuth than lead. The same process as many of the other newer shot compositions out there. ITX, the stuff from RSI, etc. The biggest improvement from the original Hevi-shot is that the pellets are now round instead of looking like welding splatter. Basically nice round pellets with a density half way between steel and lead going at a reasonably fast velocity. Probably'll kill birds 'grave yard dead' as well as any of the other non-toxic offerings - if the shooter knows what to do.

Thanks, BobM. So, roughly twenty-some percent denser than comparable steel loads and about the same percent cheaper than Hevi-shot. I'll pass.
No problem

RL- Hevi X is a 25 round box, Hevi Shot is 10 per. Based on Cabela's pricing, Hevi X is approx $1.40 per shell, Hevi Shot is about $4.20 per shell. I didn't do load weight comparisons, just cheapest box of 12 gauge.

Cabela's shows a sale on Kent Bismuth, which Hevi X is about 25% cheaper than the Bismuth sale price.

Nah. Itappears to be the only "pure" non-tox alternative in a 25 round box.

Still 2.5 times the price of what I currently pay for Fasteel. But might be with the extra confidence to boom-dead more birds. In the end, I've stoned quite a few birds pass shooting with steel at long yards, but as I get older I don't seem to have the same confidence I did 10 years ago. I also hunt about 50% less, so might just be a circumstance of my circumstances.

Gentlemen, thanks for the answers as to "just what is Hevi-X?". At almost 10cc and $1.40 a shell, I'll try a box or 2. Hopefully I will be able to report back in a positive fashion...

John Bourbon

John Bourbon said:
Gentlemen, thanks for the answers as to "just what is Hevi-X?". At almost 10cc and $1.40 a shell, I'll try a box or 2. Hopefully I will be able to report back in a positive fashion...

John Bourbon
I will assist you in testing in January. You will need a second opinion and I will selflessly provide one.

Hey John,

I shoot Hevi-Metal, A combo of steel with a layer of Hevi-shot in front of it. It is very effective . Usually there is a mail in rebate so it works out to about 1.75 a round. Otherwise I just use super x

Back