Moving on!!!!!!!!!!!

tod osier

Gold Sponsor
We closed on the old house on Friday and what a relief not to own two. We have been in the new house since Nov and the closing couldn't come fast enough (especially as the market continues to drop). What a year it has been.... Jen is doing great and today is Gus' first birthday. Shop is coming along slowly and we have been planting trees, laying out the new garden and planning the new barn. Plus the turkies have been willing and mature, I guess I can't ask for more!

Anyway, I thought I'd post up some pics of what progress we made on the old house in the past 7 years, not exactly sad to see it go (I'm particularly glad that we didn't have the movers move the stuff in the crawl space and left it until the day of the close). Outside we did roof, windows, siding, doors, etc... Inside we updated everything except kitchen. Some of the rooms we went down to the studs, others just patched up. Lots of trim, fixtures, etc...

Finished product...

c.jpg

Another view...

b.jpg

Before picture, we had just done the roof.

a.jpg

One of the bathrooms...

d.jpg

Did some fun trim, not the fanciest, but made my own corner and plinth blocks...

e.jpg

Nice little shed we put up in the background, Jen is picking some volunteer lettuce from the old garden... It is good to be moving on.

f.jpg
http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/tosier/b.jpg

Wow... huge upgrade from when I saw it.

Congrats on new purchase. Your household is getting bigger - one boat, then one dog, then one baby ... now another boat.

You've done wonders, it looks like a brand new home. When you get that shop finished everything will come together and you can take a break. Happy birthday to that little one!

Dave

Thanks Lee, It was tough selling in that market, but we would have really cried over the price if it wasn't looking so sharp. The market around here held strong up until last fall, so we were selling on the way down, but not the bottom as it is in many parts of the country from what I hear.

New place is in great shape, so I can focus more on real improvements rather than repairs.

Thanks Andrew, We did have 4 boats when you were there, but will absolutely will stay at 1 kid.

T

Last edited:
You've done wonders, it looks like a brand new home. When you get that shop finished everything will come together and you can take a break. Happy birthday to that little one!

Dave

Thanks Dave, yeah when I get done, I'll be sure to take a nice long break by your example!

No flight pens at the new place for us, but we may build a little coop for some layers.

Tod,
Have you shared pics of the new place yet? Maybe I missed them.
Semester over for you?
Rick

Tod

That was a great looking place you had. What I'm really looking forward to see is the new place and the workshop you are putting together. Any pics of that forthcoming?

Eric

New place?!?! I just got the old place done and you want progress on the new?!?! He he he... I am making progress. We are signing papers to get the barn started this week and I've been demoing the 2 car garage little by little and getting some stuff back in. I have a wall wired, sheetrocked to 4' and a workbench in. I need to do some more demo and get the sub panel in the shop before I can move forward. Not much to look at now.

Sketchup image (thanks eric beaumont for turning me on to it!) from the South overhead. Image shows house and planned 30'x50' barn with 18' x 9' overhead door on front and 16' x 9' on back. I will be able to drive through (see 2-track to right) and store 2 cars, 2 boats, utility trailer and tractor with plenty of room to breathe. Smaller shed is 12x16 and was there when we bought. We have the 8 fruit trees to the left planted adn the 8 to the right have to wait until the barn is built. We are going to start with the left 18'x65' garden with the one on the left to grow in to.

yardfromS.jpg

View from east.

yardfromE.jpg

Tod,
Have you shared pics of the new place yet? Maybe I missed them.
Semester over for you?
Rick

Rick,

Semester is over for us, graduation was Sunday, so we got to drag out our robes for the once a year dog and pony show. I didn't teach this spring and sabbatical next fall, so it will be tough to get back in the classroom come January. I successfully hired my replacement, so I no longer have administrative duties and will hopefully keep it that way. I need to do an annual report and I'm D-O-N-E.

No pictures of the new house, it is a good fit for us.

Is your semester wrapped up? You been out on the houseboat?

T

Cool plans Todd.

One thing you may want to consider is going with 10' tall doors on the barn. When I built my boat storage area I went 9', and now that I have decided I want to upgrade to a different style boat that has a rigid top, I find out that I'll need 10' to have enough clearance. Even if iI go with a soft top I'll still have to fold it down each time I bring the boat home to park it. What a pain in the you know what! Now I'm looking at finding a way to lift the roof a couple feet without having to tear the whole damn thing down and starting over.

If it won't screw up the budget go with the higher clearance, you may not need it now but you'll sure regret it later if it turns out you want it.

Gregg

Last edited:
Cool plans Todd.

One thing you may want to consider is going with 10' tall doors on the barn. When I built my boat storage area I went 9', and now that I have decided I want to upgrade to a different style boat that has a rigid top, I find out that I'll need 10' to have enough clearance. Even if iI go with a soft top I'll still have to fold it down each time I bring the boat home to park it. What a pain in the you know what! Now I'm looking at finding a way to lift the roof a couple feet without having to tear the whole damn thing down and starting over.

If it won't screw up the budget go with the higher clearance, you may not need it now but you'll sure regret it later if it turns out you want it.

Gregg

Yeah, I know. To get a 10' door, I would need to go with a 11 or 12' wall and that would add more than 3K. As it is we are spending an extra 1K to go with 9' doors. On the saltwater boat I am building I want a hard top, I'm hoping I can build it to fit, if not I can build the hard top to swivel down or go soft (yuck). I can't spend another 3K for so little gain, I may really regret it, but I think I'm okay. If the sole of the boat is 2-3' from the ground and the hard top is 6-7' up that makes it a close fit. Whatever I have will be custom, so I can deal.

It's trusses. Basically an open carport structure with 4 8x8 posts on each side and the trusses sitting on a glue-lam that spans the posts. Oh yeah, a tile roof so its heavy.

I'd like to think that Simpson makes a post cap that would allow me to just add another couple feet of 8x8 on top of the posts. Then I could hire a crane to come lift the glue-lams and roof off in one piece and then set it back down on the extended posts. I'd have it done in half a day if that were the case.

I'll get a picture of it and post it up when I get back from Missouri next week.

Gregg

Gregg,

what is your boat and how tall is it on trailer?

On the lifting, it seems that you could if you wanted to do it yourself... sister a 2x8 to each of your 8x8s, cut out a large enough chunk to get a hydraulic jack in each post, and inch it up, unclamping the sistered board when raising and reclamping when raising another. When done cut a piece of 8x8 to fit and sister a piece across the joint on two sides.

That may work with asphalt shingles but I'd be afraid of breaking up the tile without an even lift. What about digging down and lowering the floor?Are you lucky enough that it is on a rise? 4 post? must be some massive lam beams!

Just re-read..4 on both sides..what, 24' long? I'd put a taller post next to the short ones and then bolt a filler back on top of the short ones to the taller ones.

Last edited:
Tod,
My current boat fits just fine since it is just an open jet sled. The boat, or should I say boats, that I'm looking at are another story. I keep going back and forth between an inboard jet or an outboard prop mounted on an offshore bracket. Both have distinct advantages and disadvantages and I just need to decide which ones outweigh the others. I have however decided that whatever I get will be aluminum, have a hard top or a rigid framed canvas top with shelves above the windows, and be no more than 21'-22' so I can still launch and retreive it by myself. I've been looking at boats from Customweld, Thunderjet, Hells Canyon Marine and Idaho Boats. All of the models I like sit just a few inches over 9' at the highest point on a hardtop that will allow a 6'2" -6'3" guy to stand up under. If you add a tower for rodholders, net holder, lights, etc. it ends up coming pretty close to 10'.

I've found that it is hard to find a hard top that will fit under 9' on the trailer because of the clearance needed to get the bottom V over the trailer crossmembers. But if your only 5' 6" and don't give a damn if everybody else has to walk like quasimoto to get under the top I'm sure a custom "shorty" top will fit.

As far as lifting the lid on the storage area by myself, I imagine I could do it but I'm too chicken to stand under there with a hydraulic jack. I can just see the jacks giving way and me doing my best Atlas impersonation for about .001 seconds before being squashed.

Oh yeah, I'd be tempted to give up the pull through capability on the barn for now to go with the added height. You could still have them put the framing in place for a door on the back but wait till later to put the door itself in. I know this wouldn't save the whole added 3K in costs but it would help a little if you in any way think you might need the 10' doors.

Last edited:
You know good and well that I've offered to help and since its been established that I'm a MORON here on the site you know that a beer and a salmon fillet would be all that it woludl take to have me be the one operating the jack under the roof.....

I say pull the trigger boy and we can put together a crew to get the roof raised....and since we're voting here I vote for THUNDER JET!!!! All great boats but thats a GREAT NAME as well....

BTW did you see the report on the 60K Sturgeon BALL on the wall of the Bonneville Dam? So many fish that a sonar skin paniced the Dam Managers to conclude that they had a Dam emergency on their hands.....they put Dam cameras in the water, followed by a Dam submersible and then Dam divers and found no Dam failure...just this huge ball of Sturgeon loafing against the face of the Dam....

DAMMMMM!!!!! thats a lot of Sturgeon, and they said the estimate was on the conservative side.....fish were loafing and "sleeping" many of them resting upside down on top of others. If the estimate is correct thats like 10% of the total population of Sturgeon in the Columbia drainage......no concensus on why they were ganged up like that and they disperesed when additional water spillage for smolt migration started.....

Like I said....DAMMMMmmmmm......and we weren't there wiff a Dam hook.....Dam Moron's thats what we are....

Steve

More like 5'7", hah hah aha ha aha ha ahah a. If worse comes to worse, I could make the hard top so that it telescopes down or folds into the cockpit. Thanks for the info, I have been thinking I should go to a marina and measure, but haven't because I don't want to know the answer.

Back