A few pictures from Charlie Foulds boat project

Huntindave McCann

Sponsor
Charlie, hope you don't mind me butting in. You will have to add some commentary.

Whats inside the tent?
P4060092.jpg

Why it's just a stack of plywood.
P4060112.jpg

Wonder what he's building?
P4270136.jpg

Saw is out, hope all them lines are in the right places.
P4060101.jpg

Getting a few pieces cut.
P5190139.jpg

Dang, thats a funny looking thing.
P5210142.jpg

Son of a gun, looks like it might be a boat of some sort.
P5210149.jpg

Hey, who said you could take time off?
P5250166.jpg

That's better, back to boat building.
P5310200.jpg

Yep, nice looking boat.
P5310198.jpg

Ok Charlie, the next pictures are on your time. hehe
biggrin.gif
If you can learn to build a boat,,,,,, you can learn to post pictures

WAY TO GO Charlie! I'm impressed. The lines look great and the fit looks like a pro is at work. You are well on your way to a first class boat. Outstanding!

Thanks guys and Easy on the curtains,they were made by my mother inlaw(Old German Lady) to protect my "stuff" from the eyes of thieves......LOL

Last edited:
Charlie

It wouldn't hurt. Sanding a little will increase bond strength but the real strength comes from the larger face grain surface areas you get from the fillets and cloth to the faces of the bulkhead.

Charlie, I forget which epoxy you are using... in my case I used Raka which has zero blush. I took advantage of the chemical bond by not allowing more than 24 hours to go by before I applied 2nd coats, or in your case, fillets.

In other words, no sanding if you 1) have no blush, and, 2) do it within 24 hours.

Good luck.

Andrew, I am using US Composits. I let it dry for well over 24 hrs. It dried clear.Does blush mean that it dries cloudy? Anyway,I just finished sanding. When you did your fillet, Did you wet out all three layers together and the put them over the fillet in one shot?

Charlie,
Since you and I are in the same boat with not having a cement floor to work on and needing a table to scarf and then build on and since you are way ahead of me what dimmension are the table you built and would you change anything?

Ok Brandon here goes. I am building on a 12'x4' table,I extended it to 16' for the skarfing process. Back to 12' for the rest of the project. I am limited in space as you know. Any other questions I will be glad to help if I can. I am just a rookie at this and their are far more experienced people here than I.

Ok Brandon here goes. I am building on a 12'x4' table,I extended it to 16' for the skarfing process. Back to 12' for the rest of the project. I am limited in space as you know. Any other questions I will be glad to help if I can. I am just a rookie at this and their are far more experienced people here than I.

Thanks Charlie. Two more questions.

Did you support the plywood surface the the extra two feet on each side durring the 16' stage or was it fine just hanging over for the scarfing?

If space wasnt the issue would you still cut the table down to 12 feet?

Charlie... to answer you questions... I have never seen blush, but I hear that it is a cloudy residue left over from the epoxy process... washes off with soap and water I think.

When I did my fillets... I wet the area to be fillet'd. then I put the peanut butter down, then I wet the pb, then I put a layer of glass tape down, wet that out, then another layer and wet that out... and so on...

It takes a boat load of time. I would do a small space every night and be happy with doing say... half a floatation compartment. You have to enjoy the process and don't treat it like a chore or it'll be a drag.

Hang in there you're obviously doing a great job.

Andrew, I am using US Composits. I let it dry for well over 24 hrs. It dried clear.Does blush mean that it dries cloudy? Anyway,I just finished sanding. When you did your fillet, Did you wet out all three layers together and the put them over the fillet in one shot?

Charlie, you are doing a great job. Save yourself some time and sanding if you want a professional job, get some peel-ply. The stuff does just an awesome job an is easy. Makes fillets perfect and you don't need to sand other than to scuff and leaves you with a high ratio of glass to resin.

T

Back