Changes in Registration Process

Eric Patterson

Staff member
Since people continue to ignore the request at sign-up to use their real names, or close variant, I have removed the automated sign-up procedure. All user registrations will come to me to be validated. Further, I strongly suggest you edit your user profile if you have already registered under some "Refuge-like" name, e.g. bandkiller, stackemup, etc.. Accounts can and will be be frozen. If you are desparate to associate a screen name you use at other sites here, then stick it in your signature in your user profile area. These are the rules.

Good move Eric. I like the format, but hated seeing the mallardmasher names here recently. We appreciate your work.
D-

Thanks Eric, It's really easy to put their other website monikers in their signature spot if they absolutely feel they need it. Or they can just go back to:

Feather-busting-00buck-wing-breaking-head-shooting.com

:^)

Dave

Eric, something that I noticed when trying to send a PM to Dave "Shady" Larsen, was that you can't click on the name in a thread and have it work. The system comes back with a "not a registered user" message. However, you can go into the members section and look them up and send a PM that way.

I let Dave know that I couldn't send him a PM through the thread, and that it may be the quotes in the name messing things up. Sure enough he took out the quotes and the PM system worked.

Please make sure that folks don't have quotation marks in their screen names.

Lance "Ray" Raymore, or just Ray. But never Johnson.

YA way to drop the hammer Eric. Uptight bunch? Then so be it, I've been on too many BB's where people hide behind screen names and don't mind their manners. Having people use their real name tends to keep everyone honest and polite.

Bill Gass
AKA Taffy Rockland

I'm not a regular poster, but I am on this site daily and love the new setup and use of real names.
Love the site.

Kyle

AKA- Heidi Canterbury

Personally, I think and alway have thought this is the most rediculous rule of the site...

But whatever....

I agree! Anyone can post a fake "real" name or close varient. So what has been solved?

Yes that is true and I don't argue someone can misrepresent themselves but most don't. But it does stop all the freaking annoying self-aggrandizing stupid ass screen names used elsewhere.

Last edited:
Some are still using the freaking annoying self-aggrandizing stupid ass screen names used elsewhere, but they just attach part of their "real" name to it. Is that acceptable for the rule?
Not trying to argue, but if you are going to make folks use their real names and get rid of the monikers then why are folks still able to use even part of a moniker? They still have the moniker that some seem to loath so much.
Lee

Not trying to argue

Yes you are.

The formal requirement has been in place for a relatively short period of time and I have not gone through the entire registry, nor will I as it would be a very time consuming task, to notify every individual for compliance. I don't think you are knowledgeable of the names people were registering with, and yes I do find many of them loathsome, as do others. For those who are using a variant of their real name I will take it on a case by case basis and that person's history here will weigh in my decision. As founder and caretaker of this site it is my call. Period.

To me it is obvious you oppose this policy. Understand this, it matters not what you think on this issue. My mind is made up. If you find it unfair, objectionable, or inconsistent, I don't care anymore beyond this reply. This community has always possessed people and characteristcs that fly in the face of convention used elsewhere. As long as I am involved I will do my part to preserve the things that differentiate and make this community home to people I consider friends.

Not trying to argue

Yes you are.

The formal requirement has been in place for a relatively short period of time and I have not gone through the entire registry, nor will I as it would be a very time consuming task, to notify every individual for compliance. I don't think you are knowledgeable of the names people were registering with, and yes I do find many of them loathsome, as do others. For those who are using a variant of their real name I will take it on a case by case basis and that person's history here will weigh in my decision. As founder and caretaker of this site it is my call. Period.

To me it is obvious you oppose this policy. Understand this, it matters not what you think on this issue. My mind is made up. If you find it unfair, objectionable, or inconsistent, I don't care anymore beyond this reply. This community has always possessed people and characteristcs that fly in the face of convention used elsewhere. As long as I am involved I will do my part to preserve the things that differentiate and make this community home to people I consider friends.

Sorry! I thought you left this thread open for discussion. Never mind that I said anything at all on the issue.
Lee

Eric, I am 100% behind you with this policy. Like you said, its your web page and everyone should follow your rules. If they want to hide behind some silly ass nickname they can hang out at Waterfowler.com or The Refuge. I sometimes troll those sites out of curiosity and some of the posts and pseudonyms can turn your stomach. Like others have stated previously, I don't take anyone seriously who uses a nickname or leaves out their hometown on their profile.

Back