Hank "The Machine"

Victor Duskin

HR Duckin’ Ducks Sir Hank
aka “The Machine”
March 1997 to January 24, 2009
My friend Hank… How do I even start to wrap up the ending of a life that… I know is still giving? Lessons learned from a yellow dog, pass thru my mind rapidly since yesterday. A young pup that entered into my world that instantly healed a hurting heart that was left behind from another pup – which had left me too early. Twelve years later that pain resurfaced… to a pain that seems to have been hiding in the shadows growing greater by the day…. until yesterday…. It exploded out.

I think to myself that I must be Childish to feel this way? It’s hard for me to breath if left alone with just my thoughts. I miss you! If only you could have seen me… I’m not sure you would have been too proud to have seen your master that you so loved… humbled to having to leave thru the backdoor of the vet’s office… And even now… a day later… tears just seep out… I know only time heals… I wish I could put into words exactly what you mean to me… I can’t… but the pain I feel is o.k. and I can bare it… and really I am proud to do so… because you no longer have too..

You were a once in a lifetime dog… that all dogs will be measured. To say that I loved you… just don’t seem to be enough…

View attachment VIC_HANK2BA1.jpg
View attachment VIC_HANK2BA1.jpg

Last edited:
Victor

From all the photos and stories you posted over the years I know just how special Hank was to you and your family. He lived life to the fullest and saw more adventures than 99% of other dogs. As much as it hurts right now I know you'd do it all over again and that sys a lot about you and Hank's relationship. Many of us have been where you are and know the pain does go away and the memories grow fond.

Eric

Misty mornings,breath in the air,wings but no seeums,splash`s in the pinks and purples,sandwiches and shivers,
THERE!Bang! Fetch um up,splash! Smiles and feather fluff ,all the good stuff..

hang in there buddy we are all here for ya ,

Shermie....

Man, I'm sorry.
I know what a bond forms between a guy and a dog like Hank. He was a trooper.
I'm glad, however, that you had such a long time together.

Last edited:
Victor, I am so sorry for your loss. Hank will be waiting at the pearly gates with my guys and then we all can get back to it. Everyone here understands. Shiny side up.

Victor,
You and Hank had a special bond that only comes with time and will not pass without time. It is one of the parts of life that is required to get at the good stuff. It all comes with a cost and the vets visit seems to be the part all of us has a hard time with.
Thinking of you and your family.

Victor, Sorry I know your fellings all to well, wasn't to long ago for my buddy Thor and I went thur the same. Ed

I'm sorry. You know i looked at the fourm yesterday, and from the title, I thought it was some more great pictures of ya'll. I purposely didn't click on it because I didn't have time to look at them. So today I did, and saw this. I'm sorry. Having lost a couple, retired the best one ever early, and even had to watch my wife and middle sone put down there house dog last week, no shame in crying. Only shame is if you had a dog you didn't know and love enough to cry over. I'm sorry brother. travis

Sorry to hear you lost your pal. It's just part of the deal and it will never change unfortunately. I guess we are resigned to that fact but it sure doesn't help when it happens. I've been through it twice the past 6 months including last week and some days I just start crying. Some nights I wake up and don't hear one of them snoring next to my bed and I lose it. I'm not too proud to admit it...I'm proud of those tears because it means we did it right. Man and beast bonded in a different way than any person can love another. How do you explain that to somebody that's never experienced it.

The little guy sitting under me sure helps but it takes a lot of time to move on as you know. Hang in there man. You and Hank are in my thoughts.

Jay

It is hard to get over the sense of lose you feel. You gave him a good home made good use of his abilities. Only time will help. I am sure he taught you a lot with his ability in the field. In time you may choose to get a new apprentice to train and lessons from Hank will be a great asset.

Last edited:
Your companions on the hunt are almost 100% of the reason your spend your days in the field chasing game...Sorry to hear of your loss...Just keep the memories alive and your companion will always be there hunting by your side...I still ask "Big Dog" a past hunting companion of mine to find some birds for me on a days when the birds aren't there...He seems to always give me at least one chance at a bird....

Regards,

Kristan

Victor, don't feel ashamed for going out the back door of the vet....I did the same thing. Know that everyone here is a dog person and knows what you are feeling. You have our sympathies and understanding and shoulders to lean on.

Victor,I to have suffered such a loss,i definitely feel your pain.My IKO passed some eight years ago and is still sadly missed.After his passing i received a sympathy card from the vets office which read.....GRIEVE NOT,NOR SPEAK OF ME WITH TEARS,BUT LAUGH AND TALK OF ME AS IF I WERE BESIDE YOU.... I LOVED YOU SO--'TWAS HEAVEN HERE WITH YOU. Bill.

Sorry to hear of your loss, but do not feel ashamed for if you did not care you would show no emotion. It is an overwhelming feeling losing a dear friend stay strong, you will get through the pain and one day the memory of the loss will be replaced with the memories that you shared together.

Back