On The Topic of the Fourth Gen Tacoma....

Eric Patterson

Staff member
Remember our discussion about the new gizmos on Toyotas for off-roading? In particular the "crawl control" system that uses computer-controlled braking to get power applied to the non-spinning wheel in an open differential system, in lieu of a differential lock. Here is a great example of that system working, or not. When it didn't work the operator turned it off and proceeded forward until something went POP. Toyota engineers are taking social media black eye on this new model. There are some problems to work out. I'm curious if the part that broke is new to the 2024 or if it is on earlier Tacoma generations. It's no wonder serious off-roaders swap the independent front suspension (IFS) for a solid front axle (SFA). A solid axle is significantly stronger. In 1986 Toyota moved to IFS and dropped the SFA. I wish they made the SFA an option so the driver would have a choice. I guarantee you the SFA models would carry higher resale due to so many Toyotas getting modified to be true offroad trucks in their second life after serving as family vehicles.

Last edited:
I was very excited about the 4th gen Tacoma and was likely going to purchase one. The manual transmission was being brought back in the base models, where previously it had only been available in the very top model.

Toyota did indeed bring it back in the base models, but for some unknown reason one can only purchase the manual transmission with a 5' bed. On 6' beds, only automatic is possible. No special orders, no chance at all of a manual in a 6' bed. No truck on the market offers a manual transmission in a 6' bed. I'm certainly not purchasing a 5' bed truck so it looks like I'm passing on the Tacoma.

I read you could get a 2024 with manual but didn't' know about the 5' bed only constraint. I don't see the logic in that. Have you looked into the Toyota IMV 0? Of course you'd have to buy it overseas and import it from Thailand. 😮

Remember our discussion about the new gizmos on Toyotas for off-roading? In particular the "crawl control" system that uses computer-controlled braking to get power applied to the non-spinning wheel in an open differential system, in lieu of a differential lock. Here is a great example of that system working, or not. When it didn't work the operator turned it off and proceeded forward until something went POP. Toyota engineers are taking social media black eye on this new model. There are some problems to work out. I'm curious if the part that broke is new to the 2024 or if it is on earlier Tacoma generations. It's no wonder serious off-roaders swap the independent front suspension (IFS) for a solid front axle (SFA). A solid axle is significantly stronger. In 1986 Toyota moved to IFS and dropped the SFA. I wish they made the SFA an option so the driver would have a choice. I guarantee you the SFA models would carry higher resale due to so many Toyotas getting modified to be true offroad trucks in their second life after serving as family vehicles.

Can you get the new tacos with rear lockers? Our last taco had an e rear locker (2006), but when we went to the tundra (2011), they had completely done away with a locker in the entire lineup. That being said, the tundra never gave me problems and the traction control did pretty well. I now am back in a locker with the F250 and am glad to have it.

Tod

My 2023 has both a rear e-locker (only works in 4 low) or you can use the crawl control which operates using both front and rear axles. I suspect the 2024 is the same.

Tod

My 2023 has both a rear e-locker (only works in 4 low) or you can use the crawl control which operates using both front and rear axles. I suspect the 2024 is the same.

At least that kept it on the taco, that is good to hear. Interesting about the only working in 4 low, I don't remember that but that was a long time ago.

In the early years of the traction control, I remember that you couldn't turn it off in tacos, so people would get stuck in slick spots because the traction control would down throttle them and they couldn't spin their way out. At least there is an off button now, people were wiring a disconnect on them.

Watch these 2 videos and read between the lines. Note how many times they mention emissions. Note how they stress the need to "keep it cool". And how the engine has to run a high RPM's to "spool up the turbo" even at very slow speeds to achieve the low end torque.

I hear you on the turbo, Toyota would be the only one I'd buy in a truck, for what that is worth. It is a tough spot for these companies, the Tundra used to get pounded by the haters because of its awful gas mileage with the 5.7, so what do we have now???? - better gas mileage... and a turbo. Likewise with the taco, you would hear a lot of comments that the 4.0 used to be gutless and not so great gas mileage, so now a turbo.

Emissions is driving a lot of this, but obviously so is cost as it always has.

I'd love to see what those hybrid frames look like after 15 years in the rust belt.

Tod, if you compare apples to apples, ie put 33s on a new tundra and compare mpg to a 5.7, i think the difference is minor.

you can get a locker in the new Tundras in certain trims. I wish we could just buy carbon credits to offset the 5.7 and get it in a new truck. I don't fly my private jet around or have any ownership in a chemical company, i just want a reliable new truck

Tod, if you compare apples to apples, ie put 33s on a new tundra and compare mpg to a 5.7, i think the difference is minor.

you can get a locker in the new Tundras in certain trims. I wish we could just buy carbon credits to offset the 5.7 and get it in a new truck. I don't fly my private jet around or have any ownership in a chemical company, i just want a reliable new truck
I never had a problem with the gas mileage on mine, more than happy to have to feed the 5.7 and benefit in terms of having a simpler engine.

Good to hear the locker is an option again.

Watch these 2 videos and read between the lines. Note how many times they mention emissions. Note how they stress the need to "keep it cool". And how the engine has to run a high RPM's to "spool up the turbo" even at very slow speeds to achieve the low end torque.

I would be paying attention to that also. Problem is, it's going to be a few years before you really know how that affects the engine and components. Can it handle the heat long term? I've been through this with the last of the VW diesels, which is completely different anyway, but at the end of the day, too much heat killed them. What was once a 300K plus engine became a 120-140K engine whether they had the emissions disaster or not. The heat is what would give me pause on buying this out of the gate.

I was disappointed to learn that the new Tacoma wasn’t available in standard transmission and 6’ bed. It seems crazy to me and I actually called Toyota customer service to complain about it.

I have found that Toyota Trucks are very hard to come by in certain models and configurations. Plus their markup is unreal. Most are 3 - 5 grand more than retail. So you have to have the cash for the difference of what banks will loan based on retail value. Plus gap insurance.

I have been searching for a Tundra and having a difficult time because I am looking for a specific configuration that is like a unicorn. 2012 - Current, low miles below 120,000, under $30,000, double cab, 5.7L, $WD, 8ft bed in good shape, no rust. I found one white 2012 double cab, 8ft bed with under 25,000 miles, exactly what I wanted but the dealer would not budge from $28,000 and banks said retail is between 23,000 -$24,000 and would not do a loan more than $25,000 + gap insurance. So I would have to come up with the difference $3,000 plus another $3,000 in taxes. I just could not do that extra $6,000 and I do not have anything to trade because my current truck 2003 Silverado extended cab long bed is rusted out body and frame and cannot pass inspections any more so it is more of a parts or farm truck. The dealer sold it in 5 days, so I guess some has more cash than I do currently.

But I have also been considering double cab with 6.5 bed with the other specs above, but they are also outrageously priced and hard to find. Crew Max is out because it only comes with 5.5 bed which is way to short. If figure I would get a double cab 6.5 bed and still keep searching for 8 ft bed and trade in for it if I find one.

I cannot afford a new one, plus since they changed the engine in 2022 to a turbo 4 cylinder the jury is still out on how they will do. 5.7L is almost bulletproof as long as all maintenance is done on a timely manner. I am wanting this to be my last truck I will use in my lifetime.

Anthony

With those requirements I suspect you will have to widen your search area or wait it out. Autotrader.com and FB Marketplace allow you to specify a search radius. If you haven't tried that feature it might help.

Anthony

With those requirements I suspect you will have to widen your search area or wait it out. Autotrader.com and FB Marketplace allow you to specify a search radius. If you haven't tried that feature it might help.
I have been. 500 miles. I search cars.com, carguru, autotrader, and FB. But facebook has a lot of scam posts. what is weird with that is a lot of the scam ones have good vehicles with a price of $3,000. And it is all written in spanish. I guess they are not very good at scams. :LOL:

Back