What's on your work bench?-April

Nothing crazy here. Last final push of some foamer mallard that I’ll hang and bang all next season. After this batch, it gets me to 3 dozen foamers, a dozen 10 year old Dakota refinishes, and some full body mallards. Plenty for anything I’m doing. I’ll have to go back and play around to see if I can substitute these to be field decoys as well. I have some ideas. But I’m really looking forward to the mental grind of learning to make a new species. Of course that means a new mold…. So weird different things coming for the May thread, hopefully.

Attachments

• IMG_0619.jpeg
    IMG_0619.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0610.jpeg
    IMG_0610.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0618.jpeg
    IMG_0618.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 11
I made this hen gadwall for my baby sisters college graduation gift. I’ve only been waterfowling for a couple of years now. Short enough to remember my first duck, which was a gadwall hen that my sister saw before me.

This is my fourth decoy I’ve carved and painted. It is pink foam body, basswood head, walnut shell restle coated, and painted with Steve Sanfords Behr paint schedule.

Attachments

• IMG_3494.jpeg
    IMG_3494.jpeg
    483.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3493.jpeg
    IMG_3493.jpeg
    492.8 KB · Views: 10
8 drakes and one hen GE ready for a quick eye cleaning and paint
Love the side heads that are being posted. I may need to figure out how to get in on that action with some of my birds.

completely off topic.... how you like that suzu outboard? Im going to need to replace my 08 opti in the next 5-7 years I think, and Im already looking at suzuki motors. I keep hearing really good things, except that they are slow due to the gearing in them. But I think they just just released a new gearing system this year to compete with the yammies and mercs

I made this hen gadwall for my baby sisters college graduation gift. I’ve only been waterfowling for a couple of years now. Short enough to remember my first duck, which was a gadwall hen that my sister saw before me.

This is my fourth decoy I’ve carved and painted. It is pink foam body, basswood head, walnut shell restle coated, and painted with Steve Sanfords Behr paint schedule.
I did something somewhat similar. I made my nephew and niece a decoy of their first duck. A drake gadwall for him and a hen wood duck for her. That gadwall decoy was the one that I really felt like I figured out how to paint them on. A couple of years ago I made him a pair of magnum cork gadwall for his rig. He hunts them every time he goes.

Love the side heads that are being posted. I may need to figure out how to get in on that action with some of my birds.

completely off topic.... how you like that suzu outboard? Im going to need to replace my 08 opti in the next 5-7 years I think, and Im already looking at suzuki motors. I keep hearing really good things, except that they are slow due to the gearing in them. But I think they just just released a new gearing system this year to compete with the yammies and mercs
I like the motor since Mercs hate me I also love the Yamaha motors. This was on the boat when I got it. No issues

I like the motor since Mercs hate me I also love the Yamaha motors. This was on the boat when I got it. No issues
lol mercs hate a lot of people. If you aren’t pushing a Merc to almost the rev limiter, they don’t like anyone. An old man told me a long time ago, if you ain’t runnin a Merc like you stole it, you better be good with a wrench. Since I’ve made that a priority and I’m always writhing 200-400 rpm of the rev limiter and ive really had no issues with any of them.

Is yours real quiet? That’s what I keep hearing about the Suzukis

lol mercs hate a lot of people. If you aren’t pushing a Merc to almost the rev limiter, they don’t like anyone. An old man told me a long time ago, if you ain’t runnin a Merc like you stole it, you better be good with a wrench. Since I’ve made that a priority and I’m always writhing 200-400 rpm of the rev limiter and ive really had no issues with any of them.
LOL, this is why i just sold my Merc and wish I had kept my Nissan 18 back when I sold my old mv jon!!

Back