What's on your work bench? - March 2024

new boat to work on. picked up the sheets for the floor and front deck. have to cut and put wedges on the transom. barge is getting a 70hp tiller. may need some input on building a blind.
Bailey bridge boat?

Those are tanks...not good for the timber, but if I only hunted the rivers and bigger water down here, I'd try to find one and rebuild it. Spoon bow, 18 feet plus, good for hunting or as a tender.

Decided to build the work bench. I am kind of tall, I purposely left it tall to prevent back fatigue. With that said, I could take 30 min - hour and shorten it 4-8” if need be. Not beautiful by any means but functional. It’s obvious it’s nurses carpentry at work here. Was able to accomplish 12 bins at 27 gal each. I also put bins inside of bins for organization.

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0236.jpeg
    IMG_0236.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 23
Decided to build the work bench. I am kind of tall, I purposely left it tall to prevent back fatigue. With that said, I could take 30 min - hour and shorten it 4-8” if need be. Not beautiful by any means but functional. It’s obvious it’s nurses carpentry at work here. Was able to accomplish 12 bins at 27 gal each. I also put bins inside of bins for organization.
You keep saying you're not going too but you're gonna end up carving wood or cork one day!

You keep saying you're not going too but you're gonna end up carving wood or cork one day!
Just dont have the time. I have work benches that go around my shop that I put in place when I first bought the house. It already came with a vent hood out (perfect for the painting). I had to replace the motor but I have made my own bass plastics for years, so it serves well to keep fumes out of the shop as well. After building this bench, I was able to clean and organize the entire shop again. So I have TONS of work space again. I have the room to put tools in place to carve. Not sure I want to bring the dust into this basement shop though. I have a 10x20 shed outside that I ran power to myself. Once I get my boat/toy garage built (hoping this gets to happen this summer), almost everything comes out of that shed and I have thought about converting it to outside tools and putting in all wood working tools/power tools. Also, my father makes knives now. That is 100% his hobby, and he will spend every free minute of every free day making knives. Only thing I think that can peel him away from his hammers and tools is a day on the river fly fishing. Ive thought about putting in everything he would need to also do that just to have him around a little more.

So maybe one day I can carve out a bird or two. Mentally though, I struggle because I will not allow hobbies to turn to profit makers. As soon as money gets involved, I start to lose interest. I spend money on hobbies to bring enjoyment to my life. As soon as I start taking orders or I feel any kind of outside pressure, I lose interest. So, do I want to carve decoys? I only got into this to build a better decoy than I can buy for my own personal use. Am I going to hunt my carved birds? More than likely not. It might be hard to justify the leap to carving birds, but I could see myself making a hand full of carved birds in my life time just to throw in a corner or put on a shelf to collect dust just to say I did it.

What my shop looked like when I first moved in. You can see the vent hood for the bait making. When I built my paint booth, I used a dryer hose to connect to the same vent hood and it pulls out all the paint fumes really well. Little noisy when working but I have my head phones in 90% of the time so it doesn’t matter too much

Attachments

• IMG_3404.jpeg
    IMG_3404.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4940.jpeg
    IMG_4940.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0278.jpeg
    IMG_0278.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 18
That final product looks great. I'm doing shop thinking and looking at your cubbies, are the dividers movable (I hadn't considered that)? I have a lot of 3/4" plywood cubby/shelves in the shop, but I'm thinking about our wyoming place... I want to for sure make a bunch that fit some sort of box for organizing when appropriate, but I was thinking of making the whole thing with cubbies the same size, so the cubby boxes could be with the tool in an adjacent cubby.
You could make the cubbies on french cleats then you can move things around when you change your mind etc.

Back