25hp 2-stroke johnson help needed

schrader

woke up saturday and hooked up the rig. just to make sure, i cranked the 25hp johnson in the drive way with the hose attachment. idled it for about 10 minutes, water coming out the pee hole just fine. got to the lake, cranked right up and took off. ran it wide open for about 20 minutes. when my buddy says "slow up, i think we passed the hole", i throttled down and it quit running. it was hard shifting back into neutral. when it finally went back into neutral, it wouldnt crank back up and had to get towed in.

any ideas as to what caused this and what it would take to fix it? thanks in advance.

Confused...will it crank over at all? Can you manually crank the motor over?
Start with the cheap/simple stuff like making sure your battery is fully charged and your connections are good.

Were you getting good water flow while running in the lake? Running your motor in the driveway with the hose is not an acurate test for water flow as your forcing water instead of pulling water in.

Did you take the motor cover off to see if any linkages for some strange reason might have come loose internally...My buddies the first day of season had a 5 hp motor throttle just fine until they throttled down to the spot where we were going to hunt...Not matter how many times they tried to crank it it just would not turn over...We finally at the end of the hunt took the motor cover off to find a linkage between the throttle arm and carborator had worked itself loose on some threads...He threaded back in the linkage and it started just fine.

Regards,

Kristan

For some reason, I'm keying on the 'hard shifting' part of your description. I'm wondering if you had a lower unit failure, which is causing your other problems.

Is it still hard shifting, or about as smooth as always? If it doesn't feel right - check under the hood. Any issues that would cause this? Follow that linkage down to the lower unit.

For Discussion - could a lower unit failure essentially lock the motor in gear and engage the 'No Start in gear' feature? It's been almost 10 years since I've changed the water pump on the 25 I used to own, and I can't remember how the interacts with the lower unit - or if I'm even barking up the wrong tree.

My motor was a 97, and it did have a no start in gear feature. I'm wondering if you forced the shifter into neutral, but it's still actually in gear because of a lower unit failure and isn't allowing you to start. I'm doubting this a little even as I type, but I just wanted to throw it out there for discussion.

Back