Broadbill Update...

Kevin Beam

I've posted a few pics before asking questions along the way. Thank you all for the help and advice. I pulled the rattel can trigger on the new motor last night. After way too much debate, I went with a 20hp Honda. The power to weight is about the best around; 2 strokes weigh in at about 85lbs, and the 4 strokes were typically 115lbs. This motor is a compromise at 101 lbs. I just didn't want to hang that much weight off the back of it. It's an 09 that I got as a "scratch and dent," from a dealer up the road - that was the only way that Honda prices compared with competition. When it came in, I was in shock! The scratches were a joke, at least for any duck hunter.

I may redo the paint scheme all over. I was disappointed with the color of the brown - too much red for my taste. I figure I'll take it out in the marsh for a little crabbing and dog work before I do anything, that way I can see how it looks against the bank. One things for sure, I'm not going to be starting a camoflauge company anytime soon.

I also wanted to say that I'm really happy with how Lou's FME came out. All I've got left to do before Sept. 1 is install/wire a little battery for some running lights/cockpit lights, build the blind frame and have a canvas shop wrap it, then grass her up. I'm getting there one small step at a time. In the mean time, I use the boat 3 or so evenings a week zipping around the marsh. I've really been breaking this motor in for a long time... :)

[inline sneak1resize.jpg]

The glass was worn down to the keelson. I had to do a bunch of sanding, and new keelson that I extended, and then reglass. There were a bunch of other glass repairs I did as well.
View attachment Duckboatmotorpaint002.jpg

View attachment broadbillpainted001.jpg

View attachment NewHonda20hp003resized.jpg

View attachment Duckboatmotorpaint014.jpg

View attachment sneak1resize.JPG

Last year, this time, I redid my sneakbox. I used Lou's FME also. It held up beautifully! I hunted my box hard last season and the only worn spots on the boat were from my dog's nails up on the bow of the boat. It never wore thru completely, just scratched it up a bit. IT'S GREAT PAINT! I like the camo. A buddy once told me to not worry about the camo job too much. He said that once ya get it covered in mud it looks like mud. See ya in the meadow.

Good looking boat.....u get her used? I am on my way this weekend to pick up a broadbill in Iowa. The boat has some years on her and I am wondering if repairs might ne necessary. What kind of repairs did you have to do?

Back