cabelas cork decoys

I have 1 doz cork mallard decoys purchased from the cabelas catalog
in 1982, wood heads. Can anyone remember or have an idea of the carver, as I doubt
cabelas had them mass produced? They only carried them one season.
Thanks for a reply.

Cabelas approached a number of Carvers in the early 80's with the idea of a hand carved low cost cork decoy. Doug Snow of Eastern Michigan had just made some for my rig and we encourged him to see if he could meet their price point and quality standards.
So he got the job and made quite a few for them. However his actual cost was higher than his estimate and he stopped production. He set up a large Belt Sanding operation that he used to shape the cork bodies.
I stll have a few out in the barn. Bob Hayden

Thanks Bob: Seems they do ask a lot for their decoys. The decoys if you remember would blow over without
too much of a wind. I added keel weights on the outside, they have a high dense nice grade of cork too.
I may hunt them some more? Only used about 5 times. Dave McNeill

Last edited:
The cork decoys made by Cabela's seem to be a nice decoy. I just picked one up at the Henry Decoy Show last weekend. It's all original except for the paint on the head. It's going in the gunning rig this fall/ will mix in nicely with my other cork decoys.

TIM

Dave !! Haven't had any contact with Doug or his brother Ron in years. Lou Tich might know if they still carve. Good Luck. bob Hayden

Back