found a not so nice suprise on my boat.

michael barnes

i finally got around to taking the rotten wood out of the transom of the old starcraft i i bought, and found a not so pleasant surprise. the wood in the transom had been replaced at one time or another, grab handles added to each side of the outside stern, and trim tabs installed.....ALL WITH STEEL BOLTS AND WASHERS!!. a total of 12 or more bolts, all corroded so bad they wrang off, have been eating away at the transom for who knows how long. an area about 8" wide, streching from one end of the transom to the other, is well over haveway eaten through. also, one of the triangular braces at the bottom of the stern had the aluminum bolts replaces with steel ones, and they too have eaten about halfway through the aluminum. then finally, the the starboard corner rivets had been replaced with steel nuts and bolts, also eating halfway through the corner. this was my first boat i had ever bought, and really had no clue what to look for, and i really didnt lose much money, a bit over 200$, but that did include a trailer that is not in too bad a shape. i guess i could have a welder replace the transom....or not. maybe just scrap it for what money i can get, and find another boat. im not upset about it, learned something about buying a boat, and get to start looking all over again for another boat, which that and fixin' an old boat up, well, that half the fun for me. what would you suggest i do?

Mike,

Post up some pics if possible. On a tin boat there isn't much need for a welder. Much of it can be done with patches and rivets. I wouldn't write this one off yet. But then I've been known to resurect a few projects that were better off dead, financially anway;)

Good luck!

Gene

yeah, i was kinda thinking about what you said, sure it can be fixed, but for what i paid for it vs. the time and money i may spend on it, im not sure what im gonna do.

I had a similar problem with a 15' Starcraft several years ago. When replacing the transom, I discovered that the stern on the port side had the corrosion issues you describe. The triangular braces on that side had some corrosion also. I made a judgment call that the strength was not sufficiently compromised and installed a new transom and replaced the steel bolts with stainless. Installed my 40 Johnson and never had a single issue. I watched the corrosion and found that it stopped as soon as the stainless bolts replaced the rusting steel ones. I used that boat in salt water for the next 6-7 years until I sold it last year. I would consider getting an informed opinion of how much, if any, of the structural integrity has been compromised and go from there. Hope this helps.

Bill

yes sir, i worked in a marina for 2 summers, the last 2 years (so why am i still so ignorant about boats? i was stuck bottom painting for 2 summers...didnt learn much), and the guy that owns it is real nice, and would be glad to look at it, so i will be getting his opinion on it.

Is this the blue boat you are talking about? If so I think I'd still be pretty happy with it. Its a boat not a shrine, and you just gotta make it seaworthy, if not pretty. You know better than me the crap some people go out in all the time for work. You still have a lot to work with there.

I'm fixing up a 1989 hull this winter, and after pulling the floor up a week ago I found a few surprises. Nothing that can't be fixed, just cracks in the aluminum. But at what cost right? Do it right, or do it over again I figure.

And on the plus side, you will be getting an education on a $200 investment. Think of those big live aboards guys buy and then discover rot and destruction.

I'd be interested in seeing a picture or two of your situation as well. Not that I know much about boats, but I never let a lack of knowledge interfere with giving my opinion. : )

Mike

My buddy and his dad have a Starcraft Camp 14v and his dad sent the boat back to Starcraft about 3 years ago. He noticed an issue going on with the transom and proved it was due to electrolysis. He could detect a charge on the transom using a voltmeter. I'm not sure what was done to rectify the problem - (so what's the point of posting this I guess), but I know Starcraft didn't argue much and repaired it. I'll ask him today and post something worth reading later on. Hopefully it'll help you guys make lasting repairs.

Michael, I have fixed a number of AL boats. My big "project boat" was a boat that rode out Katrina and then sat upside down for a couple of months in the salt. I have done welding, riveting, etc. on those boats and it is very likely you can get that rig in the water by fishing season. Post some pics and lets get to work on it and get you in the water. Chop, chop!

Michael , boat can be fixed, not much money just some elbow grease. Post pictures, The fellows on this site can resurrect the dead.

Since you don't have much in it to start with you can afford to spend a little more on it.

I'd get someone to weld a plate on the transom where all the galvanic corrosion is. Put some new marine plywood where the old rotted stuff was. Drill some new holes(put some type of marine adhesive in the holes in the plywood before you put the bolts through) and make the attachments with stainless nuts washers and bolts. Probably want to use some marine goop on the threads. I don't know where the sacrificial zincs go on that hull or even if there were any. Find a place to put some that you can easily replace and install them.

Keep an eye on the zincs and as they corrode replace them.

Best,
Harry

Back