Long Island February trip

rich scheffer

I flew up to Long Island last Thursday for a buddy's wife's funeral, short trip 25 hours on the ground, didn't waste a minute, checked out all my old haunts, saw a bunch of old friends too, and most important looked out at my old mistress, the Great South Bay. The scooter shot off Patchogue sets the mood for how cold it was. For you long island guys, that had a poor year goose hunting, you should try corduroy blazers instead of camo jackets. For mallards, Instead of G&H, or Red head duck decoys, you might try wonderbread decoys. I used to pass this one spot every day on the way to high school [greenheads] it is on Madison st. Bluepoint. I was afraid the ducks would fly if I got out of my car to take a picture. Well I got out anyway, much to my surprise they all came swimming toward me The last shot of the Hoodies was at the Babylon town dock, I love looking at them. Rich.

Great photos, I was over there the other day myself and saw a bunch of hoodies mixed in with blue bills,I live 2 min from Babylon docks and go by there at least twice a week to look at the birds..

You Long Island guys will understand this shot. I took this from the parking lot at the Babylon Pool. This was the only clammer out. This shot tears at my heartstrings as this was what I did in my first life. Look at birds over his transom! Boy it was cold. Rich =http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/Gail_061/media/P1090741_zpszoo7dye5.jpg.html]
P1090741_zpszoo7dye5.jpg
[/URL]

Rich, I remember the early 70's working the Patchogue to Oakdale area I would have lunch by the water and see hundreds of tong and bull rake boats on the bay. There was a lady who displayed photos at the decoy show of clammers tonging in Great Southbay, the boats are so close together you could walk boat to boat.
Only a few boats making a living out there. Same thing out east, only a few boats here and there...

Back