Lou, paint question

David Lewis

Weather is topping out around 60. Paint going to cure out ok? How long? Doing in 2 coats, planning a day between coats. If I have to I can put in an oven at work for a couple days (yes it is a large over - 150 -350 degree range). Last question, what pencil should it come in at when cured?

Dave

Dave,
Yes, you can still paint at 60 but it will be slower curing/drying. Be sure to do thin coats (thin, you win) and give at least a day between coats. The oven would be a great way to go............I think I want one of those. ;) If you can get it in the oven at around 80 overnight.......that will do you just fine and you can apply a 2nd coat the following day. Then "oven it" overnight and you'll be pretty much ............. good to go.

I don't know what you mean by "pencil".......doh.
Holler with any other questions and good luck.
Lou

Weather is topping out around 60. Paint going to cure out ok? How long? Doing in 2 coats, planning a day between coats. If I have to I can put in an oven at work for a couple days (yes it is a large over - 150 -350 degree range). Last question, what pencil should it come in at when cured?

Dave

Sorry on the pencil. I handle pre-painted steel for an appliance company (BASF, Valspar - BASF is being bought out by PPG btw). We measure paint hardness using pencils for scratch and gouge, H, HB, 2H, 3H etc.

Hmmmmm, scratch & gouge. That would be your "testing" in the marsh & flooded timber. ;)

I did a ton of field testing and promotion for PPG years ago and love their paints. BASF on the other hand (we bought foam from them for a while),was the worst company I have ever dealt with. Their product didn't perform and their customer service was nil. They don't want to even talk with you unless you're doing 100,000 lbs of material a year. We fell short of that amount. ;)
How do you think the buyout will affect BASF....and PPG?

Holler with any questions and good luck with your painting.
Lou

Sorry on the pencil. I handle pre-painted steel for an appliance company (BASF, Valspar - BASF is being bought out by PPG btw). We measure paint hardness using pencils for scratch and gouge, H, HB, 2H, 3H etc.

Well, the BASF rep got new shirts ............ lol. As far as appliance grade wet paints I have been using BASF, looking at Valspar. So far BASF is the only one that can give me a 0 T (measure of adherance in a bend, smaller the number the better) and 2 T. Valspar just ran some that is going 0 T and 3 to 4 H (higher the better). PPG is really not in the game in wet paints, but I use them in our powder coat system. From what I have seen their house type paints are good, I am just using a different system. Figure there will be some head cuts, what I am worried about is they are consolidating their plants. That is usually bad for our quality. When you are building flat smooth high gloss side by side refrigerator doors that can hurt.

Good thing is it gives you an oven big enough to take a 12 foot boat.

Back