Mixed bag

Robert Schaffer

Well bird movement around here is still pretty slow even though we just got a good cold front. Atleast i am having to wear my jacket now but the birds just have not made it this far south yet. Sunday morning the fog was so bad i had trouble even seeing my decoys but was able to scratch out two male greenwing teal. Yesterday morning the fog was gone but the wind could not decide what direction to blow. we moved our spread 3 times before 9 o'clock before the wind finally settled on a direction. Despite all the movement we were still able to get a pretty good mixed bag including my first chance at a canvasback. Yea i said chance... I had taken the shells out of my gun when moving the dekes the last time and forgot to put them back in when we were finished. So as the pair of cans swung wide of the decoys then turned and came right at us with wings cuped my heart was racing as i knew I was about to kill my first canvasback. When i pulled up to take the shot you can imagine how i felt when i heard the "click" of my gun.. luckily my buddy was smart enough to reload his gun as he folded up the drake. I guess thats hunting though stuff happens. Altogether it was a good morning we finished with a pair of pintails, a greenhead, and of course my could have been canvansback.
View attachment 1115000954.jpg.
View attachment 1115000953a01.jpg.
View attachment 1115000953b.jpg.
View attachment 111500095301.jpg.

Don't feel too bad about it, we all have been there with forgetting to load the gun!!!
Jim/Fowlfishing

When I talked to You yesterday Robert I just guessed You had got the Can. Thats just plain bad luck right there. Nice photos.

Last edited:
Robert you will remember that click allot longer. One of Murphy's Laws you know. Looks like some beautiful ducks to me. Congrats to the two of you.
Al

Been there done that more than once, still not to awful bad. When I screw up out hunting I just remind myself I could have been at work !

Back