Nothing like a new pup to help ease the loss of an old one

Dani

Gold Sponsor
The curse of having dogs is watching them grow old and pass on before you think they ought to go. My oldest boy Kenz is not long for this world and my heart breaks thinking about the upcoming appointment, all the while knowing it is the best thing for him.

Unfortunately, Drake may not be far behind him if the vet is correct and his cancer is as aggressive as they think it is.

Definitely, the curse of dog ownership is a broken heart at the end. But it is worth it and I would of course do it all again without hesitation.

And I have. I'd like to introduce Southern Shadow Belle. Or, just Belle. She is a 14 month old English setter who weighs in at a whopping 30 lbs. She was a dog that was posted on facebook that Steve saw and called and said CALL ABOUT HER! I did. Basically, the guy is a duck hunter and thought he might like to join his buddies in the upland game world. He found out how different setters are from labs and he realized he really is a duck hunter, both because of time and lack of birds in the south for a pointy dog to point unless they are planted. We went up to N. GA to take a look at her, the owner brought her out, I crouched to say hello and got a kiss in return and it was love. We did check to make sure she isn't gun shy, we had quite an enjoyable conversation with the guy and then Miss Belle was loaded up in my crate and we headed off to TN, me the proud new owner of a pretty little lady and more excited than I have been for a while regarding dogs, mostly because of the quickly declining health of my boys.

When we got to the hotel that night, I let her out of the kennel and sat on the floor with her to get to know her a bit and she crawled in my lap and promptly fell asleep. She is a little cuddle bug. We left her in TN with the same bird dog trainer that introduced Steve's dog B to birds and after getting a pigeon out to see how she reacts to birds, the trainer says that he has no doubt she will hunt and no doubt she will point. She stays up at school for a month, maybe two and I look forward to her learning LOTS.

i-VVt6wCC-XL.jpg

I am still on a quest for a lab pup at some point in the future because I will always have a lab in my life but for the summer, I will have my hands full with this sweet little lady before she gets to head off with us to the great wide west.

Dani

May you have share many experiences and adventures with Belle. The next one never replaces your other loves, just like you said, eases the pain.

Dani

I've always felt that dogs bred to hunt that end up in loving homes that actually hunt are the luckiest dogs of all. Belle is a fine looking pointer and no doubt the fun adventures have just started. I'm happy for the both of you. Great picture by the way.

Eric

Well lucky you and Belle to have found each other. Best wishes for good hunts and good heath.
Having lost too many labs, some to cancer some to age related problems saddens me,memories come flooding back.
Wishing you and Belle the very best.

Thanks Phil. I look forward to our many adventures together. We will have a lot to teach each other no doubt.

Dave......hunting ducks in FL has become quite a bit more difficult (the state tends to nuke lakes just before duck season, all of the duck properties are totally quota with all the locals benefitting in the way permits are pulled, and any public places that haven't been nuked in order to access them you almost always have to have an airboat...unless you are on the Gulf and then you need a BIG water boat...I don't have good luck pulling permits, don't have an airboat and don't have a big water boat....it seems like for the most part gone are the days when I had fair access to places with my canoe or bicycle and could actually expect to find ducks) in the last five or so years that the difficulties have taken some of the fun out of it for me. I love it still and love when I get to go but when I can just take the dogs out for a walk in the woods for quail, woodcock, snipe and wood ducks, dealing with far fewer headaches, likely see as many birds AND I get to sleep in? The other side is mighty mighty mighty attractive.....especially when you have gorgeous dogs like Drake and B and Belle to walk behind.

Thanks Eric, Bill

[size 4] Dani,

Best of luck and many adventures afield with the new pup ! Should be a busy & fun filled Spring.

Dani -

Heart break and Best Fiends go hand in hand. The price of true love and devotion. They never leave us, just become a part of who we are.

Belle is a Beauty. She has got The Look. I WILL find the birds. I'll do my part You do yours.

"Hair, Bones, and a Nose" - at just the right weight, as my good buddy would say.

I wish you and Belle all the best. The West will teach her all that the best trainers cannot, experience.

Best regards
Vince

The Dynamic Duo, both long gone, but never forgotten.

View attachment The Dynamic Duo.jpg

Congratulations on your new addition- Belle. It?s tough losing a four legged member of your family unfortunately you?ll know when it?s time.

Looks like a great match. Can't wait to see pictures of her on point. Those intelligent eyes speak volumes. Here's to many great adventures.

Thanks again y'all! I look forward to hearing about her progress at school. Hopefully I will get pictures.

Vince, I hope to have a dynamic duo like you had. They were good lookin dogs.

Dani A nice looking addition to your dog fleet! I'm sure you and Belle bonded right away. Great luck on your future travels with her.

Back