Phoenix POKE BOAT

Bill Abbate

Does anyone on this site own one and, if so; what do you think of it. Please explain the pro's and con's. I'm thinking of purchasing one. Thanks in advance.

Yes I own one. Haven't used it yet. As soon as I do, maybe this weekend, I'll let you know. Ur welcome to come check it out. X66 off lie.

Yes. The pros are is its great for sneaking up on birds. Use as a layout blind/boat. Great on marshes at low tides in the drainage creeks. Drifting down rivers jumping woodys. It is light weight. Can strap it in a jon boat. Ive used it in many applications from the tidal marshes of Long Island and now use it in Missouri and Kansas for teal to canada geese. The cons. Be careful towing behind big boat. Will dive down if it catches a wake/wave. Center of gravity is sitting down for sure. Dont shoot three times fast off to your sides or you will get wet. Lol. Speak from exsperience. Little storage. Other than that great tool in the waterfowl tool box. Ive had mine for over 22years and will never get rid of it. Have fun be safe.

I've had one for 17 years. I would suggest you look for a Maxi model; a little more stable due to width and a little bigger (easier to enter/exit) cockpit. If you can find one used with the inflatable flotation inserts, that would be a near ideal set-up. As John states, you can flip one shooting; came very close twice on mallards that jumped to the side and behind me. I've had to repair the deck/cockpit coaming seam area on the starboard aft quarter on mine twice where it split-second repair was to do the job right, though. As with all things made in Berea, Kentucky facility, quality control was not consistent. Unless you have spent some considerable time in kayaks and canoes, deepwater entry is a challenge, best to stay in knee-deep water to enter and exit boat. I usually just paddle into skinny water and then plant my feet on either side of the cockpit hull section and reach forward to grab the coaming with both hands to steady the boat under me as I stand-up. This obviously costs you some time when chasing cripples. I would offer this as a big con for this hull.

I paddle mine with a plastic bent shaft single blade most of the time, but do use a breakdown kayak paddle with cupped blades if I want to cover some water. The flat blade kayak paddle they sell is a poorly designed and made unit. As with all paddles, pick one whose handle reaches your chin for best stroke efficiency. Tether your paddle so you can drop it to shoot when jump shooting or keep a spare.

I used the Styx camouflage stencils to paint mine in a shadowgrass pattern. I then installed shock cord holders with stainless screws dipped in epoxy resin and mounted into small delrin backing pads at each screw point for support. I ran them in a zig-zag pattern to form a series of "diamonds".These have held with no deck splits or cracks for seven years. The boat really disappears with some vegetation stitched into these for and aft mounted units.

These boats are light enough, you can tow them or pull them across the gunnels on a long run. When towing, rig a "y" bridle at the boat with the junction UNDER the bow, about two feet back of the bow. The two upper "tails" are anchored in zig-zag cleats, mounted on the foredeck at the front edge of the cockpit opening. Drop the boat back to a the general area where your propwash surfaces. Keep any weight in the boat aft when towing. This will help the hull to track with the tow boat.

I have hunted from one for many years. Best money I have ever spent on hunting gear. Generally use it in marshes.And small creeks. The maxi is the way to go. Put some bungees on the deck for fast grass. Hides in open areas real well. Plenty of under deck space for decoys-gear. Way more storage than most kayaks. Down size to that is no floatation. Those pointed air-bags is what I use if using it in deeper water. The price tag has gone thru the roof from what I hear. I think mine was purchased in the 80's maybe early 90's. It was expense then. But I've spent many enjoyable hours laying in the bottom of that boat. Get one of those Momarsh reclining seats.

I bought one off a member of this forum... The only thing that might be better is a jet pack.

Really good boat for setting up in little cover. Good for getting into hard to access spots. Only thing I didn't like about it was selling it. :)

I have a single and a double. Both are great and the weight to stability is awesome. The single paddles better than the double. I am 6'3" 250. The single is snug, but not too bad. Stay out of good sized chop unless you really like excitement. The big minus is no flotation. John Bourbon and I get a couple "small boat" hunts in each year where we paddle to the edge of the slush and throw white tarps over the boats. Its like being invisible to the birds. Good luck.

Bill,

Here is the bent shaft blade paddle I have. The coated lower shaft section is very nice, both in terms of holding the overcoat of paint as well as being warmer in cold water than aluminum. Thankfully, they changed the color from yellow to black. I can "J" stroke readily,keeping the blade in the vertical position longer. A figure "8" is a bit more difficult, but can be done efficiently with focus on when you turn the shaft to "slide" the blade.

http://www.mohawkpaddle.com/Mohawk_9_Bent_Canoe_Paddle_details.aspx

Bill, I have a Maxi version, I love it. Bought it off Craig's list about 10 years ago. That's a forever keep kind of boat, IMO.

I "had" one... bought it from Kevin Harrington and never got a chance to use it once my son was born. Sold it back to KH. Very light boat, you can pick it up easily with one hand. If Kevin ever sells it again, I have first dibs to buy it back!

I "had" one... bought it from Kevin Harrington and never got a chance to use it once my son was born. Sold it back to KH. Very light boat, you can pick it up easily with one hand. If Kevin ever sells it again, I have first dibs to buy it back!

Forgot to mention the lightness. I can put mine on top of the pick-up truck caps Yak rack saddles fairly easy. Even grassed up. And I am a very average sized guy. Recently sold my regular poke. Kept the maxi.

What would the consensus be for a reasonable price to pay for both a Kevlar and regular Maxi Poke Boat? I've been looking but most seem to be asking north of $1500. Then I remember Eric paying like $250 or so for his Kevlar maxi. Lucky guy.....

Mark W

Like Mark mentioned I snagged a Maxi Poke Boat for $225 off Craigslist. Definitely one of the best duck hunting purchase I've made. Its light weight makes it easy to get from the bed of my truck to the water. I use it quite a bit to float equipment through the timber as well as paddling through swamps. The back rest isn't the most comfortable but it does so many things so well I overlook it. One word of caution though. If you buy one make sure that when you get out of it you resist the temptation to push down on the cockpit opening to climb out. They are tough boats but not designed to be stressed in that way. You kind of have to throw your weight forward and get out without pushing on the boat. Good luck finding one. They are out there and knowing what I know now I'd pay a lot more than $225 for one if I were in the market.

What would the consensus be for a reasonable price to pay for both a Kevlar and regular Maxi Poke Boat? I've been looking but most seem to be asking north of $1500. Then I remember Eric paying like $250 or so for his Kevlar maxi. Lucky guy.....

Mark W
Somewhere around $700 would be a fair price, add $200.00 for a maxi hull. One thing that ready internet access has done is drive the price of used boat up. Most I have seen are going for around $1000.00.

Like Mark mentioned I snagged a Maxi Poke Boat for $225 off Craigslist. Definitely one of the best duck hunting purchase I've made. Its light weight makes it easy to get from the bed of my truck to the water. I use it quite a bit to float equipment through the timber as well as paddling through swamps. The back rest isn't the most comfortable but it does so many things so well I overlook it. One word of caution though. If you buy one make sure that when you get out of it you resist the temptation to push down on the cockpit opening to climb out. They are tough boats but not designed to be stressed in that way. You kind of have to throw your weight forward and get out without pushing on the boat. Good luck finding one. They are out there and knowing what I know now I'd pay a lot more than $225 for one if I were in the market.
There was a lay-up flaw in mine in the rear deck/cockpit coaming area on the starboard side which delaminated and cracked on mine. Sounds like you may have experienced the same issue on your Maxi.

I can't remember if I bought this from Berea, Ky. or somewhere else, but I have a nice heavy black Cordura nylon seat that lashes on the existing injection molded unit. I have a couple of titanium rods holding my back together from a fall several years ago which resulted in a shatter L-1 vertebra. This seat lends VERY good low back support.

I checked their website. They still sell a similar seat: http://www.pokeboat.com/shop/phoenixpbseat.html

Last edited:
I gave $600 for my Maxi Poke Boat (8-10 years ago). Green finish to boot. I would think anything $800 and under. Under $500 would be a no brainer.

Back