Re-Powering Clark Craft Broadbill 14

Kevin Beam

I've recently purchased a Clark Craft Broadbill 14 and want to move up in power. It currently has an 8hp Tohatsu on it. I've tested pretty thoroughly, first with just two guys; then two guys and a dog; finally two guys, two dogs, and a little extra beer weight. It moves along, but I'm going to have to make adjustments to my "leave the house by" times if I want to get set up on time.

The Clark Craft web page states that the boat is rated for a 20hp motor, but judging by the picture on the website, that rating came about 25 years ago. I'm looking at Tohatsu and Yamaha 15hp, and even the Tohatsu 18hp. I REALLY like how quiet the little (81 lb) 4 stroke 8hp is on the boat, but I'm seeking a little advice on the weight issue. Will this boat handle the additional weight of some of these monstrous 114 lb 4 strokes?

Another thread on here has me wondering if I should snatch up one of the last Yamaha 15 2 strokes and not yet retire the "boat gas" tank. (I was soooooo ready to consolidate down to one mix fuel tank for the weed wacker and chainsaw.) I know that weight-wise, the obvious answer would be that a 15 hp 2 stoke weighing in at 79lb is my best choice. I guess I'm growing up and want to be able to talk over the motor. I feel like I should be cautious over the extra 35 lbs of a 4 stroke hanging off the transom, but a friend of mine says I worry too much and over-analyze everything. He says I've lost my "Good enought... Run it!" attitude.

The boat itself is solid - and in reasonable shape. Anyone have an opinion or even any first hand experience?

Thanks,
Kev

Kevin, I happen to have about 9 years experience with that boat. Built one and never even tried a 9.9/15 that I was going to use . Hung a 78 25 Evinrude on the back and never looked back. Oh yeah there was that one time I put a 35 on it and had it slip up and off gulug.. I really like the boat except for the internal frames don't let it drain completely. Can't speak to any of the motors you are looking at but no worries about overpowering that lil boat. Have fun. Check the spec page of this site for some pics of mine.

I would look at a 15 2 stroke before I got a 15 4 stroke. I dont run far enough for the fuel consumption of a 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke to be a big concern. So to me, the weight difference is the main thing to consider.

Back