Scaup banding...

Hi Phil - Great question. This year, they brought several birds back to the field station to do blood work. This is to check the overall health of the bird. While there they have to feed them to ensure they are getting adequate nutrition while away from the river. They would feed them twice at night much like an infant feeding. I appreciate your interest. Pat

Are they banding with SS or the normal aluminum? If I'm remembering right I believe in the past they did both on scaup in your area to study for band loss/wear?

Good morning, Pat~

What a thrill it must be to have The World's Greatest Bird in hand! Lucky you!

Question: In your 4th picture - was that bird released by hand? - or shot out of that big white cannon barrel?

All the best,

SJS

Steve - We just release them. What you are seeing is the end of the PVC tube we use to rebait the corn into the traps.

Guys - When Al Afton started this work, they were finding the aluminum bands were not holding up with scaup. Thinking they were wearing thin and falling off, he began double banding them by adding a stainless band on the other leg. His theory was correct. On many of the aluminum bands, the numbers are totally worn off. This year, we've replaced 5 aluminum bands, 2 were double bands. I was able to shoot one during hunting season two years ago and had it mounted. Here is a picture of that with the band...
http://www.duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=262125;search_string=banded;#262125

Great questions. Pat

Last edited:
The band I have was from a drake lesser banded as an adult in Nauvoo, IL on March 21, 1988. I shot it in Jan 1998.
The band was really worn, notched and only some of the numbers were readable.
I wasn't even sure it was a band when I first saw it, thought "how did this old beer can tab get twisted on its leg???"
I sent it in & the lab was able to etch it & read enough to figure it out based on species & sex.

View attachment Band1.jpg

Back