Texas Rags for DARK geese - what's your experience

Larry J

I've figured a way to pack in 3 dozen CANADA goose shells to one of my land spots and will test the set-up this weekend. I've been considering adding Canada Goose texas rags to this spread. I think I could manage to pack in several dozen of these with the 3 dozen shells. Does anyone use the DARK rags and, more importantly, are you having success with them?

I have used dark rags in Southern Indiana and Western Kentucky with some success. We supplemented out shells with 200 rags which really attracted the geese but had to learn to use them to get Canadas in range. They seem to not like finishing in my experience.

Around my way, Canada's get gunned pretty hard and are wary. Even flocked head full bodies arent enough all the time - now "movement" is the big thing. IMHO, I'm skeptical as to whether rags would get them inside of 60 yards for you.

Kevin, thanks for the input. can you elaborate on "how to use the rags to get the Canadas in range". what should we do and not be doing. thanks.

It was fun to see all of this unfold but basically, geese coming off of a refuge, in our situation, would get very excited and start work due to the increased numbers and movement of "decoys" but would slide off when they figured out what they were dealing with.

I placed the spread upwind from the blind with the real decoys scatted in broken groups, as if they were walking to the large group of birds, some of which were close to the blind where the calling was coming from of course. Seemed to work fairly well at times. Does not work if it is wet, does not seem to work well on very sunny days.

We don't have nearly the population of Canadas these days and I found brown recluse spiders in my bag of rags and they got pitched.

Back