1966 Crestliner North Star project

I'm still trudging along. Today I received the new stainless steel pipe and worked on fixing the boarding ladder. The original set-up made the ladder lean too much "under" the boat.

After the new pipes were measured and cut, I grinded down the end to "mold" it to the stern. All that I need now are some rubber feet/caps to finish the job.

Dave

Good morning, Dave~

I had missed your March 26 post - and was just thinking: With all those oak leaves around, I wonder if he will be making a cover to keep it clean???? Good solution.

And then I remembered why I missed your March 26 post: I was up early working on an NDR project - framing a painting - and drove a little screwdriver into my left hand. I did not get any photos of the blood - but I did get 2 stitches later that day.....

All the best,

SJS

Last edited:
Well....I'm still at it, but I had some time waiting on the motor to get finished. The weather was also crappy and I worked on other things like the garden tractor. It's all tuned up and ready for lawn season. I took the Comet in two days ago to have the transmission rebuilt so the 50 year old seals would stop leaking on the garage floor.
I did install a grab handle which should be very helpful with getting in and out of the boat.

I got the motor last night and spent the evening cleaning it and measuring for bolt holes. I mounted the oak transom board and the motor was next.

I started hooking up the steering and electrical cables. It has a separate (external) oil tank) but I think I am going to cap it off and just mix the fuel. I have never been real crazy about the way the boat sat on the trailer (ass heavy) and after the motor was installed it got much worse. So, I loosened the winch post and slid everything forward about a good foot which seems to be much more balanced. I will finish hooking up the motor in the next couple days and MAYBE have some underway photos by this weekend.

Dave

Little hard to tell from the photo but it looks like you have more holes behind the springs of the trailer. If you can moving the axle back will help to change the weight issue, give you more tongue weight.

Most definitely take the VRO equipment off. It is nothing but trouble. That is the same motor on my buddies old 16ft Starcraft. Nice and simple.

Shawn, I think you are right about more holes available. So far, I think bringing everything forward has done the trick. I'll keep you posted.

Dave

Chris, that is my thoughts exactly. I would rather know that the oil is getting into the motor rather than wait for the VRO system to fail. I think the only place I need to plug off is at the front of the motor right near where the fuel line plugs in. I will investigate it more tonight.

Dave

I have been on business travel and returned to a mess of "honey do" items. Friday was everything to do with cars....brakes on the wife's van, carb on the Comet. Saturday was my middle son's prom and then a crawfish boil with the wife. Sunday was "float the boat day"! It floats, does not leak a drop, and ran very well! The trim motor is still giving me a few problems but it will get remedied soon. Here's a couple of pics of the boat, my youngest, and my dog KC!

The boat planed out quickly and was very stable and maneuvered very well. I have a couple of "squeaks" in the aluminum and idle but, for the most part, very quiet boat. I will try to post a video soon.

Dave

Congratulations, Dave~

You have certainly taken this vessel a long, good way in a very short time. I look forward to seeing it in Full Gunning Mode. Until then, I offer you the traditional blessing:

A fair wind and a following sea.

SJS

Although the Variable Ratio Oiling is reasonably good system it still is an oil injection system. Even though I do have a good understanding of how it is supposed to work it does have a reputation for being "Very Rarely Oiling". IMHO I would pull it off too and pre mix. Keep It Simple. Although I am a pretty dedicated OMC guy I do remember a couple of pretty serious oops. Ficht, early electronic ignition and electric shift come to mind. But today I just fired up a 1965 6 hp. Evinrude and it purrs like a happy kitten.

Thanks Steve. It has been a very fun project and I am excited to see it convert over the summer from a fishing machine to a duckin' machine. More pics to follow.

Dave

Tom....exactly. System has been removed and the "pulse" warning for no oil has been silenced. I will be just fine mixing the oil.

Dave

So.....the trim motor! The mechanic that did the work for me was paid to redo the lower unit with seals gaskets, bushings, bearings, etc. AND rebuild the trim motor since it was leaking. I contacted him and told him that the trim motor would not raise or lift the motor when underway......and would slowly raise it at a complete stop......AND it's still leaking! He said he would rebuild it again and I was surprised he offered that service up so quickly. I asked him if he wanted the whole boat in or if he wanted me to pull the trim motor off. He said if I could bring in just the trim motor that it would be a big help. It's only two pins and a couple wires, no big deal! Well.......I have been tapping, beating, cussing, and soaking these pins with PB Blaster for a couple days now. I'm real curious how he rebuilt this trim motor when he couldn't even get it removed. I think the entire boat is going to his place for some work.

Dave

Still trying to figure out how to break loose the trim motor pins......but that can wait. Boat still operates just fine for now and I'm not going to worry about it while there are fish to be caught and fun to be had with the boat. Took it out today with a buddy and checked out her abilities in rough chop and trolling. A little windy today, cold and overcast, but the motor did great. Boat gave a very nice, dry ride and cut thru the chop really well. The windshield was a great help in keeping the wind off. Here is a couple shots before leaving the ramp.

Found one Rockfish today...33 inches...two inches too short to keep but I enjoyed every crank on the reel to get him in.

Fins are fine for now.....but feathers we will have to wait for. KC was happy just watching me put my gear away when I got home.

Dave

Wiz Boz - everyday that I can be with my wife, kids, boats, dogs.......and doing anything............. outside is a satisfying day. For those that have sharp eyes and like to study pics........if you look at the pic of me holding the fish, in the back right corner of the boat you will see what appears to be a yellow and black handled screwdriver. You would be wrong! This is a highly sophisticated, high tensile strength, vibration eliminator made from a rare material known as unobtanium! This device prevented me from going bat-shit crazy while trolling. The end cap has a rattle at low RPMs so this was the solution of the moment. I will need to pull the cap and put something underneath to eliminate the vibe/noise and return my screwdriv.........I mean vibration eliminator.

Dave

Last edited:
wonderful pictures. that boat looks great. your dog seems to disapprove of any trip where he gets left behind.

nice striper!

Joe - Thanks, boat is working out very well. Yes, KC tends to pout a bit if he doesn't get the nod to tag along. I usually always bring him along, but with the new boat and still trying to figure out how everything works/acts/feels...I figured I would leave him behind until I get the fishing dynamics understood. He always acts like he wants to jump up and grab a lure.....he has never done it .....but I would hate to have that wrestling match trying to get a hook out of his mouth. I don't think he ever would, he's been around them enough, still makes me a little nervous when I watch him "eyeball" the lure on the backswing.

Update: I decided to get the trim motor fixed NOW! I was able to finally get the lower bolt out of the trim motor. The upper one is going to be trickier since the pin only comes out in one direction (to the right). This means that you have to smack it on the left side. The problem is that there is a chunk of aluminum in the way which prevents you from hitting the pin straight on. Because the pin is frozen in place, I am having to drill the pin out. I have drilled approximately 3 inches of the 8 inches needed. Slow going, but it has to come out.

Dave

Back