1970 HERTER'S Catalog... how many remember

Vince Pagliaroli

When the new yearly catalog would arrive it was read from cover to cover. Order forms filled out with items that were "needed", and then await the boxes to arrive.

1970 Herters catalog (1).jpg1970 Herters catalog (2).jpg1970 Herters catalog (3).jpg1970 Herters catalog (4).jpg1970 Herters catalog (6).jpg1970 Herters catalog (7).jpg1970 Herters catalog (8).jpg1970 Herters catalog (5).jpg

I remember seeing the catalog and wishing I had the money to buy things in the catalog.
At 12 years old I had no money or job.... So I just looked at the catalogs.

I caught the tail-end of Herter's existence, 1997-??.
I think I got one or two catalogs before Cabela's bought them out.
About the time I was ready to order a rig of 63 kits to burlap and paint a big diver rig, Cabela's stopped selling the foam bodies.
Sadness.

I think I first saw the Herter's catalog in the mid 80s and bought some items from them and got their catalog until the bitter end when Cabela's bought and promptly dismantled them. During those years our decoy selection was carry-lite, flambeau, and G&H, in that order for quality. Herter's decoys were on a higher plane, and judging by their used prices still are.

Thanks for posting that.

Eric

I bought a lot of stuff from Herters. First thing I remember is a parka when I was around 8 in the 60's. I loved it but quickly outgrew it, and got another until it shrunk. Best thing was they were hunter brown, not camo.

Speaking of decoys, I had a couple dozen styrofoam broadbill. I don't recall which model. Since my family carved their own, they didn't get much use for many years. One year many handmade broadbill decoys were in desperate need of paint, which had been forgotten about over the summer. The Herter's rig was up. First trip out, we stop for gas in the boat. A little got splashed on the decoys, we all know how it ends. The dreaded pink goo. That, and the plastic head nipple, were the Achilles heel of the styrofoam decoys, otherwise they were great.

Old George Leonard was quite the salesman. Everything was "World Famous". Too bad he bought too much Jungle Cock.

I still have a pair of their insulated Bib Overalls in brown camo, but the dam dryer has shrunk them and they don't seem to fit anymore. Can't bring myself to part with them though.

Vince~

Indeed! I first studied my Dad's catalogs from the 1950s. In recent years, I have been collecting a bunch - from the late-40s into the 60s - to help me ID Herter's decoys. Many, many images are seared into my brain - but this one took First Place (I was tempted to say "the pole position" - but I uncharacteristically edited that atrocious pun) a long time ago....

Herters Model 50 -  on post.jpg

And, I still try to make my own decoys and gear to the "finest procurable" standards - always seeking the Model Perfect status....

All the best,

SJS

I have a 1972 catalog kicking around some where . Not only did I buy a bunch decoys through them,they had a lot of good fishing gear. I would wait with great anticipation every spring for the newest edition.

Herters was before my time but I recall doing the same thing with the Cabelas waterfowl catalog when I started hunting.....

More than anything the Herter's Catalog was always entertainment for me. In 1970 I was 20 years old, and had been getting the catalog since a preteenager. Ya couldn't pay me to read a school book but the Herter's Catalog and big 3 outdoor magazines I could not put down.

This 1970 catalog was a gift from the friend I did the Marsh Hunter sign for.

The Herter's decoys may have been "stronger than solid cedar decoys" yet the ones I have sure never rode the waves as well. In fact that inability helped to inspire me to make and carve my own decoys. In that regard I guess the old catalogs inspired many of us to take on our own path of sporting/outdoor creativity. A kick starter as Mr. Sanford has already stated.

Vince: Great stuff. Unfortunately did not have the benefit of this catalogue in my "yout." Would have worn it out. I don't recall when they went out of business. What I do recall is that when I left the Island for upstate New York, I recognized I would need decoys that could be carried to isolated beaver dams, various wetlands and thrown in and out of a pick up truck. So, in 1987, I ordered two dozen model 72s, mallards and black ducks-and a couple of widgeon. They have served me well now for 36 years, other than the issue with the heads--several have been replaced. The master (SJS) repainted the mallards several years back, and I redid the black ducks. They are in different size decoy pocket bags for the small spring creek, (four decoys), 8 decoy pocket bag for larger beaver ponds, and for larger river waters, two ten-pocket bags-all ready to go for this October-god willing!!!

James,

I had the model 96 Mallards (now long gone) and the model 96 Canada Goose decoys (still rigged and ready to work). Sure are light weight and for walk in's and small water they worked good. On Big water during nasty weather, not so good. Those decoys and some Tex Wirtz Bluebills made up the rig of my "Yout". Other plastic decoys came into the fold. G&H being the best for my hunting. We had some balsa Wildfowlers that my cousin procured, and that is when I got hooked on none plastic decoys. Once I began carving and making my own decoys in 1982 almost all of the plastic decoys went to other friends, but I still have my fair share. Just in case.[wink]

My walk in rig now consists of balsa, canvas covered and cork decoys. A odd number that fits in a old Army duffle bag. or Post Office canvas bag and most times rides in the Jet Sled. My "Boy ya gotta carry that weight...." days are Over.

Yup, another season is approaching and God Willing we shall be there to meet it.

Best regards
Vince

Oh my, i remember selling heavy wood rig, as a 15 year old, to a retired policeman, in order to purchase a dozen Herters 72 Blackducks. Math teacher was a hunter, told me if I studied lessons as well as Herters Catalog I'd get "A"s! Passed them on recently to a DHBP member with young son, thinking they are still in use?

Vince: I am alway late to convenience-ahh the jet sled. It has only been in the last three years that I have availed myself of the convenience and practicality of the jet sled. What a back saver-or general work saver. Wish I had gotten on board years ago!!!

James,

Years ago at the Ohio Decoy Show I saw Decoy Monster Machine/Mr. George Williams using a sled to move all his decoys, etc. Worked very well on the carpeted surface. Others began doing the same thing and the Light Bulb went on for me. Mine is in use all year long. Very good storage place inside a SUV for fishing & hunting gear to keep things dry and in order. Works well for so many things the list is to long to write.

Best regards
Vince

Tom Johnson said:
Oh my, i remember selling heavy wood rig, as a 15 year old, to a retired policeman, in order to purchase a dozen Herters 72 Blackducks. Math teacher was a hunter, told me if I studied lessons as well as Herters Catalog I'd get "A"s! Passed them on recently to a DHBP member with young son, thinking they are still in use?

Tom, it's good to read that we had our study priorities set early in life and used them well.[wink]

Best regards
Vince

I still have my old Herter's model duck goose boat I bought back in 1968. Never could bring myself to sell it. Also still have several dozen Herter's decoys I use occasionally. I was sorry to see them go under/sell out. It was like an end of an era. natural blinds 3.jpg

Back