2007 Waterfowler's Boot Camp & Outdoor Festival***Updated With Seminar Schedule***

DeWayne Knight

I hope this announcement meets the standards of the website.

The event is to be held July 28th & 29th at the Cardinal Center in Marengo, Ohio. Net proceeds of the event to benefit conservation and youth outdoor and hunting education. The event will also include the Big Island Ducks Unlimited Chapter's DUX Event-Saturday July 28, 2007. Industry Pros will be on hand conducting seminars. Confirmed attendees are:

Fred Zink-Zink Calls-multiple championship winner in both duck and goose calling

Field Hudnall-Zink Calls-2004 World Goose Calling Champion, 2004 World Live Duck Calling Champion, two time International Goose Calling Champion

Buck Gardner-Buck Gardner Calls-1994 World Duck Calling Champion, and Champion of Champions

Shawn Stahl-Buck Gardner Calls-2000 World Goose Calling Champion

Jim Ronquest-RNT Calls-Current World Duck Calling Champion
2007 Waterfowler’s Boot Camp Event Schedule
Saturday, July 28th, 2007
8:00 AM: Gates officially open.

8:30 AM:

Event: Basic retrieving and preparation for a great season, Part “A” with Bill Davis, Dominick Ritter, Paul Cupka & Jeff Coats.

9:00 AM: Vendor’s Row Opens

9:30 AM:

Event: Build a call youth duck calling clinic with Buck Gardner.

Event: Goose Calling Techniques with Fred Zink, Field Hudnall, and Shawn Stahl.

Event: Ladies introduction to Duck Calling with Chris Wright.

10:30 AM:

Event: 1st Session youth/new shooters gun safety and shooting clinic with Ron Rogers-Division of Wildlife.

Event: Duck Calling Techniques Seminar with Jim Ronquest and Buck Gardner.

11:30 AM:

Event: Goose Hunting Techniques with Fred Zink, Field Hudnall and Shawn Stahl.

12:30 PM:

Event: Duck Hunting Techniques with Buck Gardner & Jim Ronquest.

1:30 PM:

Event: Basic retrieving and preparation for a great season, Part “B” with Bill Davis, Dominick Ritter, Paul Cupka, Jeff Coats.

Event: 2nd Session youth/new shooters gun safety and shooting clinic with Ron Rogers-Division of Wildlife.
2:30 PM:

Event: Waterfowler’s Round Table Question & Answer Session with Buck Gardner, Field Hudnall, Fred Zink, Jim Ronquest, Shawn Stahl.

3:00 PM:

Event: Sign up for State Duck Calling Contest begins.

3:30 PM:

Event: Beginning wildlife photography with Jeff Coats

4:00 PM:

Event: Ohio State Resident Duck Calling Contest

5:00 PM:

Event: Ohio State Duck Calling Contest Awards Ceremony and 1st day closing ceremonies

6:00 PM:

Event: Big Island DUX Cookout & Raffles
Sunday, July 29th, 2007

Event: Retriever Field Competition

Event: Introduction to Duck Calling with Chris Wright

Event: Hunter Duck Calling Competition

Event: Hunter Goose Calling Competition

11:00 AM:

Event: Beginning Wildlife Photography with Jeff Coats.

12:00 PM:

Event: Duck Calling Techniques with Buck Gardner & Jim Ronquest

1:00 PM:

Event: Goose Calling Techniques with Fred Zink, Field Hudnall & Shawn Stahl.

2:00 PM:

Event: Goose Hunting Techniques with Fred Zink, Field Hudnall & Shawn Stahl.

Event: PitBoss Waterfowl-Ducks, Dogs, Decoys Raffle drawing, WBC Raffle prize drawing, Closing Ceremonies.

**Schedule may be subject to change due to factors beyond the control of the Committee**

Jeff "PitBoss" Coats-PitBoss Waterfowl

The Ohio State Duck Calling Contest will be held at 4:00 PM on Saturday afternoon.

Companies, Vendors, and organizations confirmed so far:

Avery Outdoors
Buck Gardner Calls
Bumper Boy
Doom Decoy Company
DuckWater Boats
Fin, Feather, Fur Outfitters
Fowl Pursuit-Shawn Stahl
KES Waterfowlers
Mighty Layout Boys
MoMarsh Boats
Ohio Division of Natural Resources
Ohio Division of Wildlife
OutKast Game Calls
OWA
PitBoss Waterfowl-Jeff Coats
RNT Calls
US Sportsman's Alliance
Webbed Connection-Jeff Teeter
Webfoot Guide Service-Tim Furness
WITO-Women In The Outdoors
Zink Calls

There will also be opportunity for folks to get rid of their old or un-used equipment at the Waterfowler's Swap Meet!

As if that lineup isn't enough... check this out! Make sure you stay for a little while on Saturday evening....

Big Island Ducks Unlimited is prooud to announce a new concept in fundraising. We've all been to the membership banquets filled with prints and guns, but what about an event for the hardcore waterfowler.... the gen-xer?

The DUX Event is all gear (decoys, blinds, bags, guns and a bunch more), no prints.... and the price is right too!

Tickets are only $25 per person, not only does this get you in the door but it also gets you your yearly DU membership, all you can eat and drink, one raffle ticket for a Benelli Nova and another chance at a second Nova just for wearing some camo.

July 28th, 2007
It's all about the gear
- 65+ Dozen Greenhead Gear Decoys
- Field Blinds
- Avery Gear
- Guns

Only 300 Tickets will be sold... Tickets on-sale now. This event will be held at Bootcamp. Cabins are available on the grounds, as well as improved campsites so so bring the camping gear and spend the night. Go to www.bigislanddu.org for information on the DUX Event.

Sunday we will have a retriever competition using automatic launchers supplied by Bumper Boy. There will also be meat style calling contests on Sunday, and the drawing will be held for the "Ducks, Dogs and Decoys" Raffle by Jeff "PitBoss" Coats. To see more details about the raffle, go to http://www.ducksdogsanddecoys.com/raffle.asp

Onsite camping and cabin rentals are available. Go to www.waterfowlbootcamp.com for directions and more details.

Last edited:
DeWayne,

Wish I lived in Ohio. I forwarded the message to my waterfowlin brother that just moved there.

Ron

I'm not going to be able to attend, I only live about 20 minutes away but I have to work! This is being held at the Ohio State Trap gounds. Aliitle over a year this was just a field. They are very nice grounds and I'm sure the traps will be open Saturday.

Tom

Hey DeWayne,

Things aren't too bad. Business is finally slowing so I've been able to do some work on the duck boats, train the pup and actually spend more than 10 minutes moving my decoys from one place to another. Picked up a Moneymaker in a recent trade for an SR-1. I had several SR-1 calls and my Niece bought her hubby a specially engraved white Moneymaker for a wedding present to him that Dawn helped make happen so Burt had no more need for his green one and I had the extra SR-1 so now we're both happy. Holy Smokes, Now I know what everyone was talking about. I can practically do scales with that Moneymaker.

How have you been? you must be pretty busy. Is there a "new call" this year??

Take care,
Ron

Ron,

I'm glad you like the Money Maker. We have several new colors and a new duck call I designed and developed, the PH-2. It is a double reed that is easy to run and very ducky. I'm extremely proud of it. Have your brother look me up if he makes it to Boot Camp.

DeWayne,

If my brother Bob gets down there I'll be sure to have him look you up. Bob and his family came to Upstate for New Years and I took him to the goose fields for his first time since 1990. He was amazed at the comfort of my finisher blind and had a great time. The last time he hunted geese we would hide in the weeds on our bellies at the edge of a cut bean field until the geese would finish. Now you just lay there undetected and comfortably enjoy the whole view/show of the birds coming in to the spread. Avery blinds have made my hunting so much more comfortable and successful.

Take care and talk soon,
Ron

LOL...Ron I remember the days of "reclining" in the mud covered with burlap and stubble that had to be re-arranged every time you sat up or changed position. Today's ground blinds definitely make it a LOT easier and much more comfortable to field hunt.
2007 Waterfowler’s Boot Camp Event Schedule
Saturday, July 28th, 2007

8:30 AM:

Event: Basic retrieving and preparation for a great season, Part “A” with Bill Davis, Dominick Ritter, Paul Cupka & Jeff Coats.

Event: Build a call youth duck calling clinic with Buck Gardner.

Event: Goose Calling Techniques with Fred Zink, Field Hudnall, and Shawn Stahl.

Event: Ladies introduction to Duck Calling with Chris Wright.

Event: 1st Session youth/new shooters gun safety and shooting clinic with Ron Rogers-Division of Wildlife.

Event: Duck Calling Techniques Seminar with Jim Ronquest and Buck Gardner.

11:30 AM:

Event: Goose Hunting Techniques with Fred Zink, Field Hudnall and Shawn Stahl.

12:30 PM:

1:30 PM:

Event: Basic retrieving and preparation for a great season, Part “B” with Bill Davis, Dominick Ritter, Paul Cupka, Jeff Coats.

Event: 2nd Session youth/new shooters gun safety and shooting clinic with Ron Rogers-Division of Wildlife.
2:30 PM:

Event: Waterfowler’s Round Table Question & Answer Session with Buck Gardner, Field Hudnall, Fred Zink, Jim Ronquest, Shawn Stahl.

Event: Sign up for State Duck Calling Contest begins.

3:30 PM:

Event: Beginning wildlife photography with Jeff Coats

Event: Ohio State Resident Duck Calling Contest

5:00 PM:

Event: Ohio State Duck Calling Contest Awards Ceremony and 1st day closing ceremonies

6:00 PM:

Event: Big Island DUX Cookout & Raffles
Sunday, July 29th, 2007

Event: Retriever Field Competition

Event: Introduction to Duck Calling with Chris Wright

Event: Hunter Duck Calling Competition

Event: Hunter Goose Calling Competition

11:00 AM:

Event: Beginning Wildlife Photography with Jeff Coats.

12:00 PM:

Event: Duck Calling Techniques with Buck Gardner & Jim Ronquest

1:00 PM:

Event: Goose Calling Techniques with Fred Zink, Field Hudnall & Shawn Stahl.

2:00 PM:

Event: Goose Hunting Techniques with Fred Zink, Field Hudnall & Shawn Stahl.

Event: PitBoss Waterfowl-Ducks, Dogs, Decoys Raffle drawing, WBC Raffle prize drawing, Closing Ceremonies.

**Schedule may be subject to change due to factors beyond the control of the Committee**

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I just moved to Ohio about an hour and a half north of Marengo - from Wisconsin. This will be a good break from all of the unpacking... Are the kids tickets 25$ too?

Keir

Kier, check your private messages. I sent you my cell # and email so we can chat further. The $25.00 ticket price is for the DUX event, Waterfowler's Boot Camp events on Saturday and Sunday is free and open to the public.

Back