3/8 or 1/2 ?

jeff tarr

So I am building a cackler .My plans call for 1/2" plywood and the Devlin web page calls for 3/8.I emailed Sam he told me I could use either depending on the service duty of the boat.So I wanted to get your opinions on which way to go .Pros or con's maybe ?The plywood I'm using is bs1088 okoume plywood I used this for my broadbill and it is really nice .thanks

If I remember correctly, the Cackler is a 14 1/2 ft. semi-displacement hull. A couple of issues that may play with your decision. 1) 1/2" will be a bit stiffer in flex than the 3/8" and your stitched hull shape may reflect that, not that one is necessarily better or worse than the other but I would think that the stitching process may be more difficult with the thicker material. 2) 1/2" is heavier than 3/8". 3) Unless you expect severe conditions involving lots of ice, rocks, stumps I question whether 1/2" is warranted. You might be better off with thicker or an extra layer of glass and epoxy.

I am pretty sure my BB3 has a 3/8" hull and it has held up very well to 10 years of conditions that included rocks, stumps and late season ice without any significant damage.

I'd also go with 3/8, like Pete my BB3 hull is 3/8 and it is pretty tough. If you're concerned about durability then go with 2 layers of S glass, it will be tough as nails!

Okoume is not as strong or rot resistant as meranti, yet it's lighter in weight and more flexible.
My 2 cents use 1/2" okoume, or 3/8 meranti.

Are you building it any longer than the plans call for? That would weigh into my decision but I'm still inclined to go with 3/8. I would use 3/8" meranti for the hull, 3/4" meranti for bulkheads, 3/8" okoume for the decks, and 1/2" meranti for the floor with the underside glassed and use a GI bed mat on top. If you don't cover the top with a padded material then plan on glassing it too. I would also positively glass the hull under the floor, bond the floor, and replace the cockpit knees with a center cockpit cutout bulkhead that runs port to starboard under the floor. This is essentially what I did with my BBII and after 12 seasons she's still rock solid. I've never felt any flex in any water conditions. Bonding the floor and adding another bulkhead in place of knees makes the hull very strong with almost no additional weight.

Last edited:
Not sure of modifications yet,I was considering adding a foot to the length. And maybe adding whatever width I can get out of my two scarfed pannels.I also glassed the inside of my broadbill which seams to be holding up well.

Back