A. Armstrong 14 Broadbill

Capt J. Stieben

Ok boat experts, will a 15 HP short shaft motor do the job on a Armstrong 14 Broadbill.

And value - what is price range of one of them after a total restoration.

One has popped up on the radar and the guy is looking for a offer.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe. If the load is one guy and a few decoys and the motor is a two stroke when from the later years where hp was calculated at the prop and not the flywheel like earlier years (1984 was the year the OB industry changed, I think). I ran a 1974 15 and was not happy with it so I upgraded to a 25. The increase in performance was stunning.

Eric

Capt J. Stieben said:
Ok boat experts, will a 15 HP short shaft motor do the job on a Armstrong 14 Broadbill.

And value - what is price range of one of them after a total restoration.

One has popped up on the radar and the guy is looking for a offer.

Thanks in advance.

I built one of plywood/glass from the full size plans available in the 80's. I think 86 was the year. I used a 4 HP Johnson on it, not my recommendation for speed. I would think something in the 20-25 HP range would zip right along. Short shaft. No idea on value.

I owned a AA Blackjack twice. Long Story. First time around I put a Short shaft 25 merc 2 stroke on it . It would fly and jump on plane with 2 adults, dog decoys, etc. Would run in the upper 30,s with just myself during warm months. Second time I owned it many years latter that 25 merc was long gone and I put a 2 stoke 15 merc on it from about 2000.It would plane alright with myself (255) dog decoys and roll up grassed blind. If a 2nd person was added it was a dog. Would only do about 20mph with the 15 and just me in warm months. Although the hulls are slightly different they have similar performance . 25 is what you want and a 2 stroke short shaft if you can find a good used one.

I had one for about 20 years, sold it last year. it was a factory built glass boat. I ran it with both a 25 Evinrude 2 stoke and a 15 Evinrude 2 stoke. I didn't see a ton of difference in useable performance.
With the 25 flat open it was scary and the motor weighs a lot more than the 15 so in skinny water when you need to get out an push, the weight savings is a thing.
It is plenty fast wit the 15 wide open. I am about 200lbs, the guy I hunt with is probably 160 and then add cork decoys and a big labrador. There is only so much space for decoys, dogs, people, gas and assorted junk....

Back