A few pics of lately -- Its been a while

Gary March

Sorry for being so absent, but life has been busy with work and other things. I finally got out on the lake and found a few birds to point the camera at. I have noticed Al and Sargent have been keeping up with the picture roll call.

This first pic is of a pr. of white breasted nuthatches. It took a bit of time to get this shot
mg7867a.jpg

This Osprey let me get unusually close.
mg8168a.jpg

The Cinnamon teal was down in the bay
mg7950a.jpg

I have never ever seen a Pelican on our lake so have to post three shots of them. A first for me.
mg7999a.jpg

mg8014a.jpg

mg8045a.jpg

These next two shots are of a blue heron. I put the sneak on this guy
mg8115a.jpg

mg8147a.jpg

My boat drifted inclose and personal with this beaver, River, wanted a piece of him.
mg7292a.jpg

mg7344a.jpg

Another first for me, A spotted sandpiper
mg8185a.jpg

A Townsends Solotaire. Another first for me.
mg8245a.jpg

Some Common Mergansers
mg8196a.jpg

mg8227a.jpg

Thats about it for this past week. I am anxious to post pics of my Estuary after I grassed it all up but need to paint the grass a bit. Maybe this weekend. Until next time, everyone have a great summer.
Thanks for looking
Gary March

Hey Gary,
I have quite a long list of favorites for sure. Thanks for taking the time to post them. Some fantastic captures in this group.
Some of my favorites would be; #1, #2, #3, then the two shots of the beaver. Really liked the way you caught those reflections on the beaver (1st shot). The pose of that second shot is really great.
The last two would have to be the Spotted Sandpiper and Townsend's Solotaire.
Well done.
Al

Gary

This is my first post on here and I really enjoy your pictures. I work as a biologist in Kentucky and I think you may have misidentified a couple of your birds species. The nuthatches appear to be Pygmy Nuthatches (which in my opinion are way cooler than White-breasted, I have only seen them once in California). We have a lot of white-breasted here and they have all white heads with black crowns, a black neck collar, and pacific birds have reddish in their tails. The townsend's solitare appears to be a song sparrow. Townsend's solitares are pretty much all gray with a white eye-ring. I hope this helps. If you ever have anymore identification questions, feel free to ask. I hope to be able to come up to the Pacific northwest some day, there are a lot of birds there I have not seen.

Andy

Bill, Thanks for the nice comments. How have you been?

Mike and Josh, Thank You also for the compliments

Al, Comming from you means alot to me as you seem to keep us all entertained. How is the knee replacement doing?

Anthony, Thanks for the nice comments

Andy, Well at least I got you to finally post. You are so right ,I was trying to get to bed and guessed on those two. After reading your post I dug a little deeper. Thanks for letting me know. Also thanks for the nice compliments.

Fran, Paul and Hitch Thanks for the comments also.

Gary

Gary,
Great pictures as always. Im glad those are pygmy nut hatches... They nest in my kids bird houses every year, and I have told them they are pygmys. As soon as i saw your picture, I thought I was going to have to ask what the differences were....

Mike

Gary - That lake of yours has a great bunch of different birds, raptors and fowl. Love the expression on the beaver who looks to have a big set of chompers. Thanks for posting as always !
sarge

Gary, really enjoyable photos. your work lifts the heart. just done a stake of busy nights and then i found those photos really great. i esp enjoyed the gooseander pictures..

Thanks again. Paul scott

Awesome shots Gary. Glad to see you back at it! Love the shots of the pelicans and blue heron and especially the mergansers. The growth on the pelican's bill caught my eye. Is that a sign of age or sex of the bird or is it just a rare thing? I've never seen it before. Thanks for posting.

Back